Re: The FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition III

> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/
>
> A wee snippet that the trolls are unable to comprehend:
>
>   1.4 The Charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy
>
>   The charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy is:
>
>   For discussion of the benefits of Linux compared to other operating
>   systems.
>
>   That single sentence is the one and only charter of the newsgroup
>   comp.os.linux.advocacy. The newsgroup's charter is for the newsgroup as
>   place for supporters of Linux to gather to discuss Linux, for the
>   betterment of the Linux community and the promotion and development of
>   Linux. It supports this as a place for those who would like to learn
> more
>   about Linux to come to learn from those who know Linux. It does not call
>   for it to be a place where the anti-Linux propagandists to gather in
> order
>   to discredit Linux.

For one who purports to have a PhD, you seem woefully dysfunctional in the
area of logical thinking.  As you cite, the FAQ states the charter to be, in
part, "For discussion of the benefits of Linux compared to other operating
systems."  To suggest that means that the purpose is to simply praise Linux
and to forbid any criticism is an illogical interpretation of the term
"compared to".  A more exact interpretation would be that a post is actually
required to contrast Linux to Windows or some other operating system.

It seems to say nothing about discussing market results for software such as
Open Office, Apache, MySQL, Firefox, etc., which are not operating systems
at all and, in any case, are mostly used on Windows.  It says nothing about
discussions of Microsoft's XBox and Zune compared to Sony PS3 and Apple
iPod, either.  I think the you "doth protest too much", as someone once
said.