Re: [News] Astroturfing Carries On, Microsoft Included

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 16:58:38 +1300, Hans Schneider wrote:

> flatfish+++ <flatfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 14:04:22 -0500, Oliver Wong wrote:
>>

>>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>>>     No. From past experience, I assumed you posted one new article, made a
>>> few comments, and then reposted a bunch of "related" articles which you had
>>> already posted in the newsgroup. So I tend to skip over those latter
>>> articles, as I've probably already read them the first time you posted them.
>>>
>>>     Now that I've taken a glance at your related stories, it seems you are
>>> trying to make it look like astroturfing is carrying on at an immense scale
>>> by posting lots and lots of articles and hoping nobody actually reads the
>>> articles. For example, you write:
>>>
>>> <quote>
>>> Notable examples of viral marketing
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viral_marketing
>>> </quote>
>>>
>>>     And yes, these are examples of viral marketing, but they are not example
>>> of astroturfing. "Hotmail, promoted largely by links at the bottom of
>>> e-mails sent by its users", is not an example of Microsoft posing as
>>> bloggers who support Microsoft.
>>>
>>>     Viral marketting is not in itself bad. From the Wikipedia article:
>>>
>>> <quote>
>>> Viral marketing and viral advertising refer to marketing techniques that use
>>> pre-existing social networks to produce increases in brand awareness,
>>> through self-replicating viral processes, analogous to the spread of
>>> pathological and computer viruses. It can often be word-of-mouth delivered
>>> and enhanced online; it can harness the network effect of the Internet and
>>> can be very useful in reaching a large number of people rapidly.
>>> </quote>
>>>
>>>     Note that this is the kind of advertising that Linux typical employs. If
>>> you tell your friends to switch to Linux, and then they do, and then they
>>> tell THEIR friends to switch to Linux, and so on, that's a form of viral
>>> marketting.
>>>
>>>     - Oliver
>>

>> Roy Schestowitz's new technique is "The Ballard method" which in a
>> nutshell means he is trying to baffle the user with quantity of words,
>> links etc in the hopes that the reader will give up, accept the message as
>> gospel and move on.
>>
>> How this bozo, Roy Schestowitz, has the time to do this is beyond me.
>> Maybe he has his undergraduate students doing it for extra credit.
>>

> This Roy is a professor of Computer Science by a University or
> something? This is goodnews of a large amount when this is true. More
> students to be using the Linux is better no?

Roy Schestowitz is in charge of 'Fresher Week' at Manchester University.

Roy Schestowitz is a student there.

Roy Schestowitz's University kicked him off their networks for excessive
use and violating the schools TOS so now he proxies through Mark Kent's
system and ISP.

Roy Schestowitz spends 24x7 on comp.os.linux.advocacy, digg and Netscape
posting Linux *advocacy*.

Roy Schestowitz's digg and Netscape ratings are terrible, which
demonstrates what the outside world thinks of his paranoid thinking.