Re: [News] Mono to Gain C# 3.0 Support

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
C# 3.0 support coming for Mono

,----[ Quote ]
| Mono, Novell's open-source implementation of Microsoft's .Net
| technology, will get support for version 3.0 of the C# programming
| language developed for the technology, project leader Miguel
| de Icaza said.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10795_3-6150119.html?part=rss&tag=2063-10795_3-0&subj=news

Related:

Who would use Mono now?

,----[ Quote ]
| With Java available as default in every Linux distribution (made
| possible by the move to GPL) I think Java has a great future on
| Linux. Better integration into the Gnome and KDE desktops would be
| nice, but I guess that is just a matter of time now that it's
| Open Source.
| | [...]
| | You can call it FUD, but for me it's a question of investing my time
| and energy in technology that are and will be available on the
| platforms I use (Mac OS X and Linux). I don't trust Microsoft and I
| don't trust Novell anymore either. Who knows when Microsot will bring
| out it's patents and kill Mono use outside of Novell? I think .NET is
| good if you want to develop for Windows only. For cross platform
| development I would not use it - I would go for Java.

But .net/C# is registered as a standard. So that means it's a standard, period, not just a Microsoft standard. I don't believe there's a threat to kill Mono-project off... at least no more than Trolltech is a threat to kill Qt Free Edition off. Plus, Mono will work with a number of languages, such as Java and Ruby, if I'm not mistaken. Right now, www.mono-project.com isn't working, so I can't access it. I give the thumbs-up to Mono-project, because it also works with Ruby, I believe, and Ruby looks like an interesting O-O language. The thing that's neat about Ruby is that everything is an object, even constants.

True, I haven't tried it yet, but I think it looks worthwhile. I'd like to also see browser plugins. Java is a nice language to work with, but Java is still... Java.