[News] Even George Ou Won't Embrace Bug-riddled Vista

Long list of Vista bugs that will keep me off Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| After a grueling week of intense Vista RTM testing, I still can't
| get Vista stable on my primary computer yet even though I've swapped
| out all the bad memory.  This same PC has worked with and continues
| to work with Windows XP just fine.  Even with the good memory in the
| computer, it locks up every hour or two and forces me to hard shut
| the system to reboot.  Apparently I'm not the only one with stability
| issues since reader DAC-Tech who's a Systems Engineer with a big
| company was having issues with his brand new ASUS based motherboard.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=402

Coming from him, it's looking grim. The whole "buggy Linux" myth goes does
the chute. No release of Linux seems as premature and incomplete as this
one. Microsoft does itslef no favours as it tried to rid itself of the
"buggy software" stereotype.

Related:

Microsoft's New Look in 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, XP lasted five years, so a Vista world could very well be
| five to seven years from today, so that is a long time and a
| lot can happen to predict. But Microsoft basically proved that
| it was incapable of producing a new release. Nearly all of the
| goals of Vista were not achieved. They kept cutting back, kept
| cutting back, and so this is like -- Vista today is more like SP4.
`----

http://www.fool.com/investing/value/2007/01/04/microsofts-new-look-in-2007.aspx?source=eptyholnk303100&logvisit=y&npu=y
http://tinyurl.com/yygv3w

(Woz of Apple Computers, in a recent inetrview:)

,----[ Quote ]
| "It's very much like that, but sometimes the engineers are - yeah, no,
| I think it's very similar, very similar. Sometimes the engineers are
| true artists and really care what they're doing, doing a really great
| job. Although, I don't know how much I can even say that because the
| big companies, Microsoft, Apple and AOL, they tend to turn out the
| crappiest products, you know, software-wise. The ones that have the
| most bugs, the most items that are supposedly in there but don't work.
| The most things that are left out because they aren't finished. The most
| things that are inconsistent with the way they did their last program. I
| get the worst, worst software almost always from Apple."
`----

http://inquirer.stanford.edu/2005/jstaffor/woz.html

Vista Bug re-appears

,----[ Quote ]
| Nice... minus one million, three hundred eight thousand, two
| hundred fifty nine bytes... how is that any where near or
| mathematically altered to 2.11 MB?
`----

http://jadeallen.com/toms/index.asp?DoAction=ReadDay&ID=359

Windows Vista's Hideous Wakeup Support

,----[ Quote ]
| One thing we just can't wrap our mind about is the terrible,
| broken, and completely pitiful support for waking Vista up from
| a Deep Sleep or hibernation.' Any time you attempt to wake Vista
| up from Hibernation or "Deep Sleep" (S3-induced sleep mode), it
| dies. It's either a BSOD, or a driver error, or a broken network,
| no DWM, lack of sound... the list goes on, and on. So much for an
| operating system to "power" the future! (No pun intended!) That's
| with properly-signed drivers and no buggy software on
| multiple PCs...
`----

http://neosmart.net/blog/archives/299

TI won't rush into Microsoft Vista readily

,----[ Quote ]
| Corporate American, no, make that corporate everywhere is treating Vista
| like a dead animal found in the woods, they will poke it with a stick,
| but there is no way they will take it home. Take TI for instance, it
| is not going to touch the wonder OS for another two years or so.

Installing A PS/2 Mouse Turns Off Firewall, Huh!

,----[ Quote ]
| I plugged in the PS/2 mouse, rebooted the PC and on restart XP found the
| PS/2 mouse and suggested rebooting again, which I did. When it restarted
| the Microsoft Firewall had been switched off. How do I know, because it
| told me I had no firewall.
`----

http://crunchysoftware.wordpress.com/2006/12/09/ps2-mouse-turns-off-firewall/

Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) 7.0 Sucks!

,----[ Quote ]
| I know Microsoft's release of IE 7.0 is in beta, but I still didn't
| expect it to be such a big piece of crap and cause hours of misery.
|
| [...]
|
| What Microsoft hoped would help it win back Firefox "switchers" has
| done nothing but add one more to their growing ranks.
`----

http://www.marketingpilgrim.com/2006/02/microsoft-ie-70-sucks.html

Just One Question For Vista: Does It Simply Work -- Like An Apple?

,----[ Quote ]
| Jim Allchin responds over on his blog regarding a recent news report
| quoting him as saying that he would have bought a Mac if he weren't
| working for Microsoft in an email to Steve Ballmer and Bill Gates.
|
| [...]
|
| So the challenge for Microsoft, and in some ways to an even larger
| extent Allchin himself personally, is to ship Vista in a state that
| is as bug free as the Mac.
|
| Vista is Allchin's final legacy at Microsoft. After a long successful
| career this is his last hurah and in order to be successful it simply
| must be perfect.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/061213/22341_id.html?.v=1

Life with Vista - Is this dogfood really for the dogs?

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm an absolute freak when it comes to .NET technologies. My blog
| is called the ".NET Addict", so it should be pretty obvious that
| the day Vista's RTM build came out, I downloaded it and installed
| it on every Vista-capable machine I had in my possession. I've
| been using Vista for several weeks now and I've come to a couple
| of conclusions that I think might startle and shock some of you.
`----

http://dotnetaddict.dotnetdevelopersjournal.com/vista_dogfood.htm

He claims RTM is in the state of a beta.

Vista Breaks Applications

,----[ Quote ]
| The big secret at Redmond is that existing applications and new
| products will not work with Vista.
|
| Microsoft really doesn't want you to know this, but many of your
| existing applications won't work with Vista. In fact, some brand
| new products won't work with Vista.

Vista... Don't Try to Copy and Paste

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista gave me the following when trying to copy a
| file:
|
| Error 0x800705AD. Ohh, well of course... I should have known error
| 0x800705AD means the user tried to COPY AND PASTE. Are you shitting
| me?! Insufficient quota? WTF are you talking about Vista. First
| let's check that I have enough disk space:
|
| Ok, now by my calculations 413 MBs < 22.8 GBs. I can normally
| figure out almost any computer related problem.
`----

http://buckwheats.wordpress.com/2006/12/12/vista%e2%80%a6-don%e2%80%99t-try-to-copy-and-paste-o/

Vista: Behind the scenes

,----[ Quote ]
| Some of the glitches were already known. Many were things that have
| already been fixed, and a few were too new and need investigating.
| None appeared to be a show-stopper.
`----                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9590_22-6133491.html

Analysts: Microsoft Changes Meaning Of 'Release Candidate'

,----[ Quote ]
| Two industry watchers say Microsoft is corrupting the term, leading to
| major confusion among customers and others about whether the operating
| system is truly ready to evaluate.
|
| Two analysts Thursday accused Microsoft Corp. of changing the meaning
| of "release candidate" by pushing out a version of Windows Vista that
| still needs major work.
|
| [...]
|
| Joe Wilcox, an analyst with JupiterResearch, said that Microsoft's
| corrupted the term.
`---

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=192700055&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_News