Re: [News] Astroturfing Carries On, Microsoft Included

__/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Thursday 11 January 2007 18:24 \__

>> Yelp reviewers paid for their opinions
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The Los Angeles Times in 2001 reported that Microsoft arranged
>> | to have hundreds of letters criticizing the US Justice Department's
>> | antitrust action against the software maker mailed to newspapers
>> | across the country. In some cases the screeds bore the signatures
>> | of dead people and non-existent addresses.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/10/yelp_reviewers_paid/
>
>     Roy, you claimed that if the subject lines were misleading, it was
> unintentional because you skimmed through the articles too quickly. So I'm
> pointing out to you now that this subject line is misleading. It implies
> that Microsoft is "carrying on" astroturfing, but the article you posted is
> about an unrelated company called Yelp, and only mentions Microsoft in
> passing for something they did 6 years ago (2001). (Incidentally, the
> article also accuses Netscape and Sony of astroturfing).
>
>     MS may or may not be astroturfing currently, but the evidence presented
> in this article do not support the claim either way.

Have you read the related stories at all? This is still going on, at immense
scale.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Oops. My brain just hit a bad sector"
  7:00pm  up 85 days  5:14,  6 users,  load average: 0.61, 0.65, 0.78