Re: [News] IBM Seeks Patent Reform for Free/Libre/Open Source Software; Apple Sued

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Thursday 11 January 2007 17:43 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Thu, 11 Jan 2007 17:22:11 +0000
> <1493831.sAI3eJnj4d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> IBM wins patent glory, but seeks reform
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Then there's the open-source problem. The collaborative programming
>> | community, of which IBM is a significant part, shares technology
>> | freely with licensing terms that often are at odds with corporate
>> | patent licensing arrangements. IBM has made various attempts to
>> | put the open-source realm at ease, for example, by sharing some
>> | patents with open-source projects and pledging to avoid some
>> | patent lawsuits.
>> `----
>>
>> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6149272.html
>>
>> Also today:
>>
>> Cisco sues Apple over use of iPhone trademark
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Cisco Systems has filed a lawsuit against Apple accusing the company
>> | of infringing its iPhone trademark, the networking company said
>> | Wednesday.
>> `----
>>
>> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6149285.html
>>
>> Linux is actually a registered trademark owned by Linux Torvalds.
>
> And the above iPhone(tm) suit is one example why. :-)
>
> BTW, that's "Linus Torvalds", though with our luck "Linux"
> might be engraved somewhere on his tombstone, far in the
> future. :-)

There's some company in Alaska which uses the Linux name. I keep finding it
among the headlines on occasions... Quite funny as it has nothing to do with
computing. Same with GPL, which apparently provides electricity (or just
energy) in some African nation.

--
                        ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Oops. My brain just hit a bad sector"
  7:00pm  up 85 days  5:14,  6 users,  load average: 0.61, 0.65, 0.78