Re: [News] 'Open XML' Already Gets Proprietary 'Extensions'

begin  oe_protect.scr
Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxx> espoused:
> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> The Formats of Excel 2007
>> http://www.robweir.com/blog/2007/01/formats-of-excel-2007.html
>>
>> These 6,000 pages of documentation don't even describe proprietary bits like
>> macros.
>
> Cue Erik to come in and explain how it's wrong and how it is all
> perfectly well documented in ECMA documentation.
>
> I must say, Roy, the stuff you've been posting recently is interesting.

This particular area does demonstrate that Microsoft continue to attempt
to use pseudo-legal processes and threats in order to maintain their
monopoly.  Clearly, nobody could imagine that Microsoft will agree to
support a standard which is truly standard and has no submarine patents,
so why anyone would ever consider any standard from MS could be safe is
quite beyond me.

The church is near but the road is icy; the bar is far away but I will
walk carefully.
		-- Russian Proverb