Re: [News] Microsoft Shareholder Wants the Zune Project Scraped

"Phil Da Lick!" <phil_the_lick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message news:45a61e49$0$8730$ed2619ec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Microsoft's New Paperweight
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | There's a side of me, as a Microsoft shareholder, that hopes Microsoft
>> | sticks a fork in the Zune right now and admits that it's done. Stop
>> | wasting money on this initiative. You're late to the game, and you
>> | brought out a nice device with some good, new features, but you blew
>> | it on the details. Meanwhile, Apple has jumped another two years
>> | ahead with its latest offering. Admit you're beaten, and let Allard
>> | and Co. concentrate on improving the Xbox 360, fast. You've got
>> | better odds in the race against Sony's PlayStation,
>> | and the rewards for second place in the video game space are a
>> | lot better than those for whatever-ith place in music players.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.fool.com/investing/value/2007/01/10/microsofts-new-paperweight.aspx?source=eptyholnk303100
>> http://tinyurl.com/yam7by
>>
>> Now you know why Motley Fool is indeed pro-Microsoft. They are holding
>> Microsoft's stock, so they share a wallet.
>
> "with a few key features iPod lacked: ... a subscription music model,"
>
> this is where big business fails to understand the consumer. joe public
> doesn't *want* a subscription music model.

Are you so sure of that?  What credentials do you have to validate your
credibility?  Someone somewhere has determined that the model is viable or
at least worthy of exploring further.  Perhaps they did that with no
research and it is a completely wrong idea, but I would be sure that some
kind of evidence was presented before such large sums were invested.  You
may be in the percentage of potential consumers deemed not likely to buy,
but you are not in a homogeneous environment and your biases obviously
prevent you from studying the overall situation.

Possibly it is like the Apple Macintosh, scrambling for a small percentage
of a very large market that makes even a small percentage worthwhile.