[News] 6 Mobile Giants Will Use Linux/GNOME(GTK+) for Their (Smart)Phones/Tablets

Major mobile alliance go for GTK+

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola, NEC, NTT DoCoMo, Panasonic Mobile Communications, Samsung
| Electronics, and Vodafone recently announced the LiMo Alliance which aims
| to provide its members with a shared Linux platform for mobile phones.
| Not many details are known yet, but one of the things mentioned in
| their Architecture Abstract is that this new mobile platform will be
| using GTK+ for its GUI. So along with Nokia's Maemo platform and th
| recently announced OpenMoko platform things are looking very good
| for GTK+ in the mobile space.
`----

http://gnomedesktop.org/node/2855

Related:

Cellphone giants unveil mobile Linux foundation

,----[ Quote ]
| Six of the world's largest telecommunications companies have
| officially launched a non-profit organization dedicated to
| creating a common mobile Linux software platform. Founded by
| Motorola, NEC, NTT DoCoMo, Panasonic Mobile Communications,
| Samsung Electronics, and Vodafone, the LiMo Foundation is
| inviting membership and participation from application
| and middleware developers.

ITU: Mobile Linux gaining momentum

,----[ Quote ]
| There has always been a lot of drive behind Linux on the mobile
| in Asia where there is a more experimental attitude towards
| handset platforms, but the word at ITU 2006 in Hong Kong this
| week is that interest in the rebel operating system is bleeding
| over into Europe and the US.
`----

http://www.telecoms.com/itmgcontent/tcoms/require-reg.html?prevurl=/tcoms/news/articles/20017390585.html&artid=20017390585&producttype=news&from=M@T-TopNews
http://tinyurl.com/yyp6sr

FEATURE: Mobile Linux: Why it will become the dominant mobile OS

,----[ Quote ]
| I see the mobile Linux wave out in the ocean and am sounding the
| alarm--the mobile Linux tide is rising. Be prepared.
`----

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/feature-mobile-linux-why-it-will-become-the-dominant-mobile-os/2007-01-03

Review: Motorola ROKR E2 Music Phone

,----[ Quote ]
| Conclusion
|
| I am really happy with the Motorola ROKR E2. I like its funky looks
| and I certainly love the new UI. I am glad that Motorola is finally
| shaping up and realizing all the shortcomings of its previous aging UI.
`----

http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp?Page=1&Id=2983

Motorola Begins Bringing Linux To Market

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola today announced two upgraded devices it hopes will bring
| Linux into the hands of mainstream users - even in the US.
`----                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=2021

Motorola A910 Linux Phone Gets FCC Approval

,----[ Quote ]
| The phone runs a special Linux-Java operating system and
| boasts WiFi connectivity over UMA. The A910 is equipped
| with a 1.3 megapixel camera and Lumi-LED Flash technology.
`----

http://www.mobilewhack.com/reviews/motorola_a910_linux_phone_gets_fcc_approval.html
http://tinyurl.com/y5whve

Linux expected to be leading Smartphone OS market by 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| I just came across this research by Diffusion Group, which found
| that Linux is set to become the leading Smartphone OS by 2010.
`----

http://irfanhabib.wordpress.com/2006/12/10/linux-to-take-over-smartphone-os-market-by-2010/

EDN highlights Linux's success in phones

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux powered about a quarter of all "feature phones" shipped in
| 2005, according to market analysts cited by Webb. Linux grew
| fastest in Asia, in phones from NEC, Panasonic, and Motorola,
| he notes. Meanwhile, mobile subscribers worldwide are expected
| to grow from 100 million to about 350 million, thanks largely to
| cellular rollouts in India, he says.

Mobile Devices Adopt Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| You don't have to be completely immersed in the world of technology
| to know that we're in the middle of an open source revolution.
| Even people who don't know much about computers and technology
| can recognize that there's been a rising trend for people to
| customize existing products and openly share information that
| can benefit vast numbers of people and foster creativity. Instead
| of just using what's being given to us, we're starting to take
| control, and this has enhanced the markets and the communities.
|
| As time goes on, more and more people are desiring software that
| is open, and once they get a taste of what that's like, they then
| move on to desiring operating systems that are open, which has led
| to greater Linux adoption. Linux is an OS that is free and accessible
| to computer users, and if they choose to install and use it, then
| they can let their inner hacker roam free by customizing the OS to
| their liking on so many levels.
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2420&Itemid=449

Motorola makes Linux breakthrough with RIZR Z6

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola's first Linux handset for the US market, the RIZR Z6, is
| also likely to be the first in the industry to run an "open"
| operating system - Linux, Symbian OS or Windows on a single-
| rather than dual-processor architecture.
|
| This shows that Linux is making significant improvements in its
| suitability to be an operating system for mobile devices, and
| could give Motorola a significant headstart in the battle to
| create low power, low cost smartphones.
|
| [...]
|
| The RIZR Z6, demonstrated at the CES show and expected to ship by
| mid year, is said to be based on Freescale's i.MX31 system-on-chip,
| one of the first to use the ARM11 core. Motorola will also add a
| new, faster Linux user interface, called JUIX (pronounced "juice").
|
| As Linux becomes more mainstream in cellphones, many players are
| seeking to address its user interface shortcomings, notably Nokia,
| which has become a Linux convert of late, and Access, the Japanese
| browser maker that acquired Palmsource and is adapting the
| well-liked Palm UI for mobile Linux.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/19/motorola_linux_phone/

Open Source Goes Mobile

,----[ Quote ]
| A constant theme at the conference was the burgeoning role of open
| source in mobile phones, particularly "smart phones" (those with
| extended functionality like music players, document viewers, etc.).
| What was interesting to me was that most of the discussion about opens
| ource (Linux, really) seemed to be focused on the flexibility and
| cost reduction opportunities it provided for equipment and servicep
| roviders. There was, interestingly, no mention of a desire to
| avoid dependency upon Microsoft's offering; to me this seemed
| strange because Microsoft has a habit of entering markets --
| even hardware markets -- when they're big enough, and causing
| real pain to their partners who depend upon Microsoft for their
| software platform: can you say Zune? As I said, this was not
| mentioned even once, which to my mind indicates a blind spot,
| as I could easily see Microsoft deciding to enter the smart
| phone market when it gets large enough.
`----

http://blogs.cio.com/node/539

Linux makes Mot tops in PDA/smartphone growth

,----[ Quote ]
| Strong Linux smartphone sales in China helped Motorola achieve
| the highest overall year-on-year growth among the top five vendors
| in the PDA/Smartphone market, according to Gartner. In contrast,M
| otorola's Symbian- and Microsoft-based smartphones are "not
| making significant progress," Gartner reports.

Chinese 3G TEM joins Mobile Linux Initiative

,----[ Quote ]
| Chinese government-owned TEM (telecommunications equipment manufacturer)
| and handset vendor Datang Mobile has joined the OSDL (Open SourceD
| evelopment Labs) and will participate in the Mobile Linux Initiative
| (MLI) to improve the Linux kernel for mobile phones. Datang markets
| 3G infrastructure equipment and handset designs in China and
| globally.

Goodbye Razr, hello Linux-based Motofone

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola is shipping the first model in its Scpl ("scalpel") line
| of Linux-based phones set to replace the ubiquitous Razr. The
| Motofone F3, available today in India, is an extremely low-end
| phone featuring an "electronic paper" display, breakthrough battery
| life, and usability features for the illiterate.

Linux phone market opening up?

,----[ Quote ]
| Four vendors are helping change Linux-based phones from
| voice-focused appliances into multimedia computers, according
| to Sascha Segan of PC Magazine. OpenMoko, TrollTech, Nokia,
| and Motorola are each using open source to cut costs, add
| flexibility, and/or to attract community and commercial
| developers, writes Segan.

Startup Promises First Linux Smartphone Based On Open Standards

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenMoko, a Taiwanese startup that develops mobile hardware and
| software, next month plans to start selling what it claims to
| be the first Linux smartphone based completely on open standards.
|
| [...]
|
| Access, a Japanese mobile software company that acquired PalmSource--the
| maker of the Palm OS--also is planning to introduce its commercial-grade
| Linux OS for smartphones in the first half of this year. But parts of it,
| including the user interface, are proprietary and closed to developers,
| says Moss-Pultz.
`----

http://www.techweb.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196802206

Smartphones Now: Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| If you thought Linux-based OSes were for back rooms, hardcore
| geeks, and computer science grad students, you'd be right.
| Recently, however, its made great strides toward becoming much
| more "user friendly," even advancing to the point where
| they're usable as phones.
|
| [...]
|
| If you're a first-time smartphone buyer, and have never owned a
| PDA of any kind, then the learning curve for Linux devices isn't much
| different than that of Windows Mobile or Palm OS or Symbian devices...
`----

http://crunchgear.com/2006/11/03/smartphones-now-linux/

Linux prominent at Smartphone Summit

,----[ Quote ]
| An annual technical and business conference devoted to smartphones of
| all stripes, including Linux smartphones, is set for Sept. 11, in
| Los Angeles.

Smartphone market takes off

,----[ Quote ]
| While new applications such as push email are driving enterprise demand
| for converged devices, they are also becoming popular with consumers,
| according to IDC. Additionally, high-level embedded operating systems such
| as Linux enable enhanced multimedia applications geared toward a richer
| video and imaging experience. As a result, vendors are increasingly
| characterizing these devices as "prosumer," IDC says.

Linux on Your Smartphone - Motorola A1200

,----[ Quote ]
| If you are already a Linux user, you are probably used to glossing
| over a few inconveniences the rest of the world takes for granted.
| In this sense, the phone lives up to its Linux heritage. If you can
| put up with the minor inconveniences mentioned above, and use some
| simple workarounds, this Bluetooth and GPRS-capable phone may just
| grow on you.
`----

http://linux.wordpress.com/2006/10/08/linux-on-your-smartphone-motorola-a1200/

LEAKED: Motorola loves Linux - E690 PDA Phone

,----[ Quote ]
| It looks like Motorola is making another non-RAZR, which in itself
| is exciting news. The E690 is a PDA/phone that runs on Linux, yes, Linux.
| It has standard PDA touchscreen and writing functions, as well as some
| decent multimedia support - including every video and audio file you
| could want played through two "3D surround" speakers (where you actually
| store the media, we don't really know). The phone also supports
| Bluetooth, WPA with full Internet browsing, and Office App viewing.
`----

MOTOMING is The Best Linux Smart Phone From Motorolla

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.storeplace.net/2006/08/26/motoming-is-the-best-linux-smart-phone-from-motorolla/

,----[ Quote ]
| Within the next couple of years, Linux will power more than half of
| the phones shipped by number two global handset vendor Motorola...

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphones/leaked-motorola-loves-linux-e690-pda-phone-199607.php

Orange first mobile giant off the mark with Linux program

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08/23/orange_adopts_linux/

,----[ Quote ]
| Smartphones, such as those based on Linux, currently represent about a
| tenth of the wireless phone market, In-Stat says. The research firm
| expects smartphones to account for a quarter of mobile phone sales
| within five years, however.

A Million Linux Smart Phones Shipped in China, Q2

,----[ Quote ]
`----

                        http://www.technologynewsdaily.com/node/3904

--
List of candidate Microsoft astroturfers (directly or indirectly paid by
Microsoft to post in this newsgroup):

flatfish+++
Damian O'Leary
Erik Funkenbusch
Larry Qualig (former Microsoft employee)
Scott Nudds (AKA Vistaking)
Nedd Ludd
Tim Smith
OK
DFS
Terry

Take everything posted by the individuals above with a barrel of salt.