Re: Dell Compatibility Error Prevents Linux Buy

  • Subject: Re: Dell Compatibility Error Prevents Linux Buy
  • From: BearItAll <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 10:11:06 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
andyschipowitz@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Quote from Digg:
>
> Dell's Confused Compatibility
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | I decided to buy a Microsoft-Free Linux PC. When I was finished
> | specc'ing out my system, I got this nice compatibility notice.
> `----
>
> http://www.elflord.net/wtf.jpg
>
> Have a look below.
>

> Related:
>
> Is it Dell vs. SPEC? or Dell vs. Linux?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | In exploring SPEC.org's site for yesterday's blog I came across
> something
> | interesting: specifically a configuration problem with a benchmark
> result
> | for the dual Xeon, eight core, 2.66Ghz Dell 2950.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | Since we're actually still in "Dec 06" what this suggests to me is
> | that Dell's left hand is decidedly more enthusiastic about Linux in
> | general and Red Hat in particular than its right - meaning in
> practice
> | that they prefer seeing potential sales go away to correcting errors
> in
> | their configurator.
> `----
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Murphy/?p=754

You can't trust Dell's online configuration software, it allowed me to put
together a server that simply wasn't possible. I didn't know it wasn't
possible and the site didn't mention that I had done anything wrong, but
the scsi/raid card I had selected in the options list given for the machine
I chose, simply would not physically fit into that machine. Niether would
the drives that I selected.