Re: 38% of Malware is Windows Vista-Compatible

  • Subject: Re: 38% of Malware is Windows Vista-Compatible
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 23:33:50 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Chris Dunaway ] on Wednesday 24 January 2007 22:44 \__

> On Jan 23, 9:07 am, schestow...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Malware more compatible with Vista than anti-malware products
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Malware writers appear to be much further along in developing malware
>> | for Vista than the security industry is in making products to protect
>> | the new operating system.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.itpro.co.uk/news/102716/malware-more-compatible-with-vista...
>>
>> Related:
>>
>> Windows Vista: It's More Secure, We Promise
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Well, allow me to take a moment to remind everyone of something that
>> | you might not remember - XP was also touted as being ultra secure.
>> | Seriously, can anyone honestly look themselves in the mirror and say
>> | this is the gospel truth? You have got to be kidding me. Similar to
>> | XP, Microsoft promises to have the most secure Windows version to
>> date
>> | yet again.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=235...
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | "Up to 60% of the code in the new consumer version of Microsoft new
>> Vista
>> | operating system is set to be rewritten as the Company 'scrambles' to
>> fix
>> | internal problems a Microsoft insider has confirmed to SHN...
>> Microsoft has
>> | also admitted that it has major problems in it's Windows division and
>> has
>> | has immediately initiated a total restructure of the division..."
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Computing/Platforms?Article=/Computing/P...
>
> quote:
>
> "Malware writers have gone through the WHQL (Windows Hardware Quality
> Labs) list to make sure that their code works on new machines," he
> said. "They have managed to port code to Vista quicker than the
> security industry."
>
> How can he know this?  Has he questioned the malware writers?  Does he
> know who they are?
>
> Given MS track record for security, there may be and probably are
> vulnerabilities to be exploited, but I would like to see evidence that
> "They have managed to port code to Vista quicker than the security
> industry."  Is there a list of known malware that works on Vista
> somewhere?  I would certainly like to see that!

Three of the top ten malware threats run on Microsoft Vista, Sophos
tests show

,----[ Quote ]
| Sophos tested each piece of malware in the top ten on the Vista
| operating system to establish whether users running Vista without
| any third-party security software would avoid infection.
`----

http://www.sophos.com/pressoffice/news/articles/2006/11/toptennov.html?_log_from=rss

Vista: 'Expect hackers to find holes'

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://software.silicon.com/security/0,39024655,39164638,00.htm

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    chmod a-r *.mbox