Re: Vista Home Lacks Support for Dual-core AMD Chips

__/ [ Ericew ] on Monday 22 January 2007 14:15 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> More artificial limitations.
>>
>> I wonder if buyers will even be aware of what they get, having gazed at
>> some matrix. My guess is that many forced 'upgrades' (money-milking) will
>> be needed.
>
> Short of support services there is nothing off limits to my Linux
> installation and I don't have to pay to activate critical feature.
>
> Yep, every version of Vista is specifically limited in serious ways in
> order to encourage upgrades to ultimate.  All those XP System / Retail
> sales that shipped with Vista coupons will be shocked to find out what
> features are disables and you have to pay AGAIN to get real features.
>
> For instance...
>
> Home is missing FAX and SCAN features!  Those are features that have
> always been there for home users... why take them away?  Probably to
> force small businesses into the otherwise crippled Vista Business
> category.
> Home is missing Time Machine er "Bit Locker".  Why give them a feature
> when you are trying to upsell them on a new shiny WHS?
> Inability to open DRM'ed documents.  This has always been a
> downloadable add-on which looks not to require an upgrade.  Thanks MS>
>
> Business is missing all advanced media feature!  They don't even
> include OS native DVD feature.
>
> Vista Ultimate is really the only version out there... Home and
> Business are basically "teasers" designed to force consumers to buy an
> upgrade.
>
> For you out there who think it will be easy to activate the additional
> features... I remind you of this beauty from MS.  This was something I
> spotted this weekend while installing SyncToy for backups...
> unfortunately it has a 256 character limit in paths that may make it
> virtually useless.
>
> "In doing so, you must comply with any technical limitations in the
> software that only allow you to use it in certain ways.    You may not
>  * work around any technical limitations in the software;"

We haven't yet mentioned some more serious omissions...

Acer: Vista Home Basic is a lemon

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is effectively smuggling through a price hike for Windows
| Vista - by making the entry-level version so poor that no-one will
| want to use it. So says Jim Wong, senior veep at Acer, the world's
| number four PC maker, who told UK hack Jon Honeyball: "The new
| [Vista] experience you hear of, if you get Basic, you won't feel
| it at all. There's no [Aero] graphics, no Media Center, no
| remote control."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/27/acer_slams_vista_home_basic/

Also see:

Microsoft Screws Students With Academic Licensing Package

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.nigelj.com/blog/2007/01/microsoft-screws-students-with-academic-licensing-package/
http://tinyurl.com/yxy7jo

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |   Apache: commercial software's days are numbered
Cpu(s):  22.2% user,   3.1% system,   1.0% nice,  73.7% idle