Re: [News] Microsoft in Denial, Thinks It Can Still Distribute GPLv3-ed Code

____/ Peter Köhlmann on Tuesday 10 July 2007 16:33 : \____

> Mark Kent wrote:

>>> Microsoft Says It Is Not Bound by GPLv3
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20070705/tc_zd/210987
>>>
>>> Funny company. It's desperate. 5 stages of agony... returning to denial.
>>
>> How can it not support what it's agreed to support, I wonder?
>>

> How can you make them support it with a license which came into existance
> *after* they signed a deal?
> That would fly in no court of this world. You can't unilaterally change the
> conditions of a deal and expect it to stay. And this is what the GPL3 tries
> to accomplish, altering the conditions in a way which would make it
> impossible for MS to fulfill the contract without violating the GPL3
>
> Guess the number of judges who would not laugh that out of court (any number
> below 1 is possible)
>
> Anyone reading "MS is hooked" into that is on an extreme tour of wishful
> thinking. The GPL3 is the exact tool MS needs to get out of that contract
> scotfree anytime they want to

You're actually quite right here. Novell suffers (or will suffer)  a great deal
here while Microsoft sees yet another malovolent plan sinking like a rock.
Both of them lose. The FSF was very successful because it actually gave Novell
a second chance. It was merciful. Eventually it was Novell's new 'partner'
(not the FSF) that screwed Novell, throwing SUSE vouchers out of the airplane.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: the most popular, but not most widespread