Re: [News] Microsoft Has Already Taken Anti-Unified Standards Battle to Britain

____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 10 July 2007 15:52 : \____

>> Microsoft?s 4th of July Trans-Atlantic assault on document standards
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| With OOXML and XPS, Microsoft has chosen to not work with existing
>>| standards, but to create new ones, as they have in their recent
>>| announcement on Web3S instead of working with the rest of the industry on
>>| the Atom Publishing Protocol. In the case of OOXML, this is a logical move
>>| on Microsoft?s part, since it is an evolution of Microsoft?s XML strategy
>>| started with the Microsoft Office 2003 version and ODF will be a technology
>>| diversion from that strategy. With Microsoft controlling 90% of the office
>>| productivity tools market and OOXML being the default file format for
>>| Microsoft Office 2007, OOXML is likely to be widely-used.
>> `----
>>
>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Newton/?p=16
>>

> Apparently, Microsoft are claiming that the British Library and the
> National Archives have decided to use OOXML instead of a standard for
> documentation going forward - basically, they're standardising on
> "Microsoft Word".   Apparently, MS are claiming that OOXML is supported
> because
>
> Now, who, please, agreed to this insanity?  Can we get them out of their
> jobs?

In Boycott Novell I called it a 'publicity stunt'. This event and BBC article
seemed like some kind of sick promotion. Oh, well... guess who benefits from
the BBC's 'offshoring' of its IT skills and decision making? The Nation
Archives, just like the British Library, have made some moved recently which
make you wonder if someone gets paid, lied to, offered free lunch...

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Disclaimer: no SCO code used to generate this post