Re: [News] New Version of GIMP Released, Linux Beats Windows at Usability

____/ BearItAll on Monday 09 July 2007 15:12 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>

>> Gimp 2.3 (preview of 2.4)
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The major change for this release seems to be a big usability
>> | overhaul. New defaults are now in place that make the Gimp look
>> | a little bit like Photoshop, but still has many features that
>> | make it unique.
>> `----
>>
>> http://fosswire.com/2007/06/08/gimp-23-preview-of-24/
>>
>> GIMP 2.3.18 Development Release
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | GIMP 2.3.18 is a snapshot of current development towards GIMP 2.4.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/17170
>

> On first look I think the only two I would really have to seperate out is
> the layers one, because when you are working with layers you tend to be
> flicking one one to another a lot, so don't want to have to add extra
> clicks finding the tool again in a multi-purpose dialog. Also when working
> on photos you want the selection editor handy.
>
> Actually, the more I think about it the more I think that seperate windows
> are better, because for me I tend to have the tools open that I'm using at
> the moment, you never need them all at the same time.
>
> I know these are horses for courses things, but from the look of that
> picture they don't look like dialogs that can be seperated out.
>
> Well, it's the only picture editor I use so I suppose I'll get used to it.
>
> All I'm thinking is that I like the Linux way of doing things, I like that
> the menu or dialogs for an application don't actually have to take up any
> of the working window. I know many have already moved away from that and in
> many cases it makes no difference, but is there really a need for Linux
> apps to continue to be more windows-like in how they work? I don't think
> there is a need at all.

Yes, I agree with you. Some people just don't use the desktop environment
correctly. For example, they prefer "click to focus" and they make no use
of "always on top", which is one click away, let alone virtual desktops. If
you spoil people and dumb everything dumb to be "like Adobe" or "like
Microsoft", then you will never be able to improve people's work efficiency.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "My signature is never intended to be offensive"
 23:00:02 up 23 days,  4:28,  6 users,  load average: 1.53, 1.95, 1.69