Re: [News] Linux Already Has 'ReadyBoost' Done Right (SwapBoost)

Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Tim Smith
> <reply_in_group@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on Fri, 06 Jul 2007 08:54:57
> -0700 <reply_in_group-A5B637.08545706072007@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>> If you are going to be an anti-Microsoft Advocate, you should at
>> least spend a few minutes learning about Microsoft's software.

Oh Timmy. Don't they have sarcasm on your planet?

I was referring to the the fact that this "SwapBoost" is little more
than the steps I outlined.

And yes Timmy, I am well aware that ReadyBoost is not as simple as that.
I am equally aware of its anomalous behaviour, as indicated by the links
in the OP. The principle of splitting random and sequential data between
devices may be sound enough on paper, but whatever arbitration Ecache is
employing to make such decisions seems to be flawed, and is not much
helped by the apparently non-optional overhead of encryption and
compression.

> The Linux swapspace system already has prioritization; there's a -p
> option on /sbin/swapon that allows this if one wants to specify it
> explicitly.

That's not entirely the same as ReadyBoost arbitration though. AFAIK
there is currently no way to tell the kernel to use one swap for random
data and another for sequential.

The fact is that no matter how many flawed optimisation methods
Microsoft throws at their products, overall they just never seem to get
any faster or more efficient. Maybe if they ditched that monstrosity
called Visual Studio and actually spent some time analysing their own
code, instead of just clicking buttons, then they might stand a chance
of spotting where they went wrong.

> What exactly is desired here?

Reboot Microsoft.

Better yet, don't reboot ... just shut down. It's time for an upgrade.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "Computer games don’t affect kids, I mean if Pac man affected us as
| kids, we’d all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills
| and listening to repetitive music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo
`----

Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) on sky, running kernel 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7
 20:37:35 up 5 days, 19:31,  2 users,  load average: 0.38, 0.44, 0.49