Re: [News] [Rival] Vista Has New Holes, DRM Believed to Be Associated with Crashes

http://itsvista.com/2007/07/vista-to-receive-at-least-2-updates-on-tuesday/

> WARNING: Windows Media Player may CRASH Neverwinter Nights 2!!
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Here's why... and this is also why I wanted to post this warning: The
> | latest versions of Microsoft's Windows Media Player have been doing
> | something very bad. They've incorporated a sub-routine that Microsoft
> | has been very quiet about and it has to do with something called
> | "Digital Rights Management" (DRM).
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | DO NOT OPEN UP ANY AUDIO FILES FROM YOUR GAMES IN WINDOWS MEDIA
> | PLAYER. Use some other (and preferably older) MP3 player instead.
> | If you open them in WMP, you'll risk ruining your game's audio files.
> | I learned this the hard way... but you don't have to.
> `----
>
> http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=573006&forum=109
>
> Whether it's true or not, you decide.

See, told you so. Also do not let Windows Media Player touch the files on
your MP3 players, it will go through the lot and any that it can not prove
are genuine copies that you are licenced to play it will make them
unplayable on any device.

In fact the only music that is safe on a Vista machine are those that you
have already put onto CD/DVD, because it can't write to those.

For media that Windows player can get at, if you happened to buy all of your
music from MSN, it will continue to play on your computer, but no where
else, because your computer has on it the only software in the world that
understands the CRM encoding.

If you bought your music from MSN, but have since changed your login for
MSN, then you still lose out. It has to have been under the name that you
are currently loged in as when you play the file.

In short Windows Media Player is a part of the Vista WOW experience. You
will find yourself saying 'WOW these faqing tossers have destroyed all my
faqing music'.