[News] [Rival] Vista Has New Holes, DRM Believed to Be Associated with Crashes

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Vista Has New Holes, DRM Believed to Be Associated with Crashes
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 14:35:12 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Vista to receive at least 2 updates on Tuesday

,----[ Quote ]
| Listed as a Moderate threat, the update for Windows Vista is described
| as an 'Information Disclosure' issue. The .NET update is listed as
| Critical due to it's 'Remote Code Execution' threat.
`----

http://itsvista.com/2007/07/vista-to-receive-at-least-2-updates-on-tuesday/

WARNING: Windows Media Player may CRASH Neverwinter Nights 2!!

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's why... and this is also why I wanted to post this warning: The
| latest versions of Microsoft's Windows Media Player have been doing
| something very bad. They've incorporated a sub-routine that Microsoft
| has been very quiet about and it has to do with something called
| "Digital Rights Management" (DRM).
|
| [...]
|
| DO NOT OPEN UP ANY AUDIO FILES FROM YOUR GAMES IN WINDOWS MEDIA
| PLAYER. Use some other (and preferably older) MP3 player instead.
| If you open them in WMP, you'll risk ruining your game's audio files.
| I learned this the hard way... but you don't have to.
`----

http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=573006&forum=109

Whether it's true or not, you decide.