[News] [Rival] Microsoft Prepares "Critical" Patches, Exploits Traded Online

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Prepares "Critical" Patches, Exploits Traded Online
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 09:59:55 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft announces six patches coming in July

,----[ Quote ]
| Three of the patches are deemed "critical" by Microsoft and affect software
| for Excel, Windows, and .Net Framework.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9739879-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

How many things are being patched /secretly/ this time? See links below.

Security company launches eBay for bugs

,----[ Quote ]
| A zero-day vulnerability is a previously undisclosed bug that has not been
| fixed by the vendor.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=742537180&rid=-50

Related:

Skeletons in Microsoft’s Patch Day closet

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the first time I’ve seen Microsoft prominently admit to silently
| fixing vulnerabilities in its bulletins — a controversial practice that
| effectively reduces the number of publicly documented bug fixes (for those
| keeping count) and affects patch management/deployment decisions.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=316

Beware of undisclosed Microsoft patches

,----[ Quote ]