Re: [News] Gartner and Microsoft Doing It Again -- Corrputing "Open Source"

____/ Zoom on Thursday 05 July 2007 12:19 : \____

http://www.intelligententerprise.com/blog/archives/2007/07/cognitive_disso.html

> I don't get it. Where exactly does this article say anything about
> "Corrupting Open Source?"
>
> Because if anything the article made it seemt that Gartner was pretty
> positive about it. I didn't see anything mention of anyone corrupting
> anything so where did this headline come from?

This probably need some background other than the related links:

"Microsoft seems to have hijacked Linux Asia"

,----[ Quote ]
| Was the general feel amongst the attendees at Linux Asia 2007;
| MS however, just wanted to say ''let us walk hand-in-hand''
`----

http://www.ciol.com/content/developer/Linux/2007/107020104.asp

Proprietary vs Open Source: The Fight Continues

,----[ Quote ]
| Asheesh Raina, principal research analyst for Gartner's Software Group
|                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| said, "We believe that Microsoft is strengthening its patent portfolio
| to rectify the exploitation of its Intellectual Property (IP) by
| technology providers that generate substantial revenue from OSS
| including Linux."
`----

http://www.sda-asia.com/sda/features/psecom,id,1209,nodeid,1,_language,Singapore.html

Now, isn't that some lovely lie and FUD?

As long as they are hired by Microsoft, they cannot be trusted. Without
Microsoft thriving, Gartner could become obsolete, so it fight for the status
quo. Sometimes it's being realistic, but only when it isn't paid.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: A dragonfly only lives for one day
Swap:  1510068k total,   647316k used,   862752k free,    68924k cached