Re: [News] Sun Implements and Releases OpenDocument Format Support for Microsoft Office

____/ BearItAll on Thursday 05 July 2007 11:59 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Sun's OpenDocument filter for MS office is finished
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Under the name Sun ODF Plug-in for Microsoft Office, Sun has released
>> | its import/export filter for the OpenDocument format (ODF), which the
>> | ISO has recognized as a standard, for versions 2000, XP, and 2003 of
>> | Microsoft's Office suite; the plug-in can be downloaded via our software
>> | repository.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/92193
>>

> (Rob steps up onto the soap box, loud hailer in one hand and Snickers bar in
> the other)
>
> The rest is down to us, comrades, to spread through our companies our use of
> ODF in online documents as well as our own documents. The more of us that
> use it the better things will be.
>
> I have been using ODF in about 90% of my documents for a long time now, it
> is a fast format (rendoring time) and absolutely safe to use. Of cause
> there will be a long period of having to interact with other formats, but
> you know an odd thing? I nearly always find it much quicker and easier to
> read in the MS Office document, saveAs an ODF, then work on it like that,
> particularly large documents. Then if it has to go back to an MS Office
> format just do another saveAs at the end.
>
> The more ODF compatible applications we have the better, whether those are
> plain readers, simple editors, programmers editors, office applications and
> (why not I say) even note pads, menus, shell texts. Well much of that on
> Gnome is already in an XML format.

It's very encouraging to know that Google is a friend of ODF. They claim to
have already got 100,000 businesses using Apps. IBM has Lotus, but they
probably don't have as much impact as Novell and Sun with OO.org (Novell
actually goes against Sun here because, along with the other sellouts, it
implements 'translators'). KOffice and others are joining the ODF camp as
well, which shows that ODF is about /multiple/ implementations, Not just OOo.

> A lot of the current work has been convertors to and from ODF, of cause we
> need these in the interim period. But this has also given us a nice set of
> classes that programmers can use to attach ODF compatibility to their own
> products.
>
> We will fight them in breeches and we will fight them in, oh, erm, we will
> fight them in, erm, trousers and .... oh damn, here come the rotten
> tomatoes.

Still tastier than soap.

Roy S. Schestowitz     | Run a Linux server, sit on your hands all day
 13:00:01 up 18 days, 18:28,  4 users,  load average: 3.44, 2.89, 2.18