[News] [Rival] Microsoft Has Killed Digital Preservation, for Profit

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Has Killed Digital Preservation, for Profit
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 04:13:48 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Warning of data ticking time bomb

,----[ Quote ]
| The growing problem of accessing old digital file formats is a "ticking
| time bomb", the chief executive of the UK National Archives has warned.
|
| Natalie Ceeney said society faced the possibility of "losing years of
| critical knowledge" because modern PCs could not always open old file
| formats.

No source code, no specs, incompatibilities that are intended to force
upgrades...

That is why everyone must protest against OOXML and the likes of it, including
Windows and particularly DRM.

Related:

British Library calls for digital copyright action

,----[ Quote ]
| In a manifesto released on Monday at the Labor Party Conference
| in Manchester, the United Kingdom's national library warned that the
| country's traditional copyright law needs to be extended to fully
| recognize digital content.
|
| "Unless there is a serious updating of copyright law to recognize
| the changing technological environment, the law becomes an ass,"
| Lynne Brindley, chief executive of the British Library, told ZDNet
| UK.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6119043.html

Publish And Perish