[News] A Look at Gnash (Open Source Flash), Which Adopted GPLv3

  • Subject: [News] A Look at Gnash (Open Source Flash), Which Adopted GPLv3
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 04:02:43 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Making Gnash: a well-deserved name?

,----[ Quote ]
| Gnash is the Free Software Foundation’s alternative Adobe Flash player.
| Version 0.8 is the third alpha release, and frankly, it rocks! It is
| also one of the first projects to be covered by the GPLv3.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/making_gnash

Related:

Interview with Rob Savoye of Gnash, the GPL Flash project

,----[ Quote ]
| 6. What features does the current version of Gnash support?
|
| We support a large chunk of ActionScript2 classes, and Flash v7
| movies. There is some support for v8 starting to get added as it's
| not very difference from v7. Although streaming video currently works
| in CVS, it's not fully functional yet. I find that Gnash plays them
| ajority of web pages Flash ads (unfortunately), and many movies
| randomly grabbed from the net. Many of us are using Gnash as our
| only Flash player without much trouble.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Stewart/?p=177

Flash Development Revolutionized with the Open-Source Release of Gaia Flash
Framework

,----[ Quote ]
| The Gaia Flash Framework has already earned the praise of high-profile
| coders including world-renowned Flash and Flex developer Jesse Warden.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070612/netu013.html?.v=16

Gnash [Open Source Flash] 0.8.0 release made

,----[ Quote ]
| Gnash supports the majority of Flash opcodes up to SWF version 7, and
| a wide sampling of ActionScript classes for SWF version 8.5. All the
| core ones are implemented, and many of the newer ones work, but may be
| missing some of their methods.
`----

http://gnashdev.org/?q=node/35

Ryan, Open Source, and Flash