Re: [News] Microsoft Lockins Analysed, Government and Business Advised to Consider Linux

____/ [H]omer on Monday 02 July 2007 16:25 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:
>> [H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:
>
>>> Of course some companies start with loss leaders to kill the
>>> competition, with the intention of making up losses at a later
>>> stage. Such commodities may be "bargains" for the consumer, but
>>> think about the ethics of the company you're supporting by buying
>>> such products. IMHO such tactics are immoral.
>>
>> It's about the network effect, though.
>
> I understand the motive, I just intensely disagree with the method.
> Selling at a deliberate loss is equivocal to lying; it's deceptive and
> underhand. If your product can't sell on it's own merit, then it doesn't
> deserve to sell at all, all else being equal (i.e. assuming your
> competition isn't doing the same thing to you). If your competition *is*
> playing the same game, then all parties should be forced to disengage in
> such unethical practices, by legislation.
>
> Think of it like this: It's like the difference between a boxing match
> and a street brawl. How low will corporate ethics be allowed to slip
> before someone steps in and puts and end to it?
>
>> So seeding markets with goods or services is a really useful thing to
>> do
>
> Certainly, much like spreading unsubstantiated libel about patents, in
> order to discourage customers from buying the competition's products, or
> launching bogus "Get the Facts" campaigns of misinformation, or paying
> shills to poison the Web with malignant anti-FOSS rhetoric.
>
> Yes, I'm quite sure those things are extremely helpful, to evil
> corporations like Microsoft.
>
>> Linux has grown in much the same way though
>
> Ostensibly, Linux is cheaper (and for many other reasons more viral in
> terms of adoption), but it's no loss leader, nor are any of the parties
> involved deliberately sabotaging the competition (AFAIK). Oracle comes
> to mind as a possible exception, and of course the idiotic people who
> signed up for Microsoft's patent protection racket, but in the main FOSS
> based enterprise is ethical, as much as any corporate activity can be
> said to be.
>
>> with initially the only real entry barrier being technical rather
>> than cost;  this translates for most people into a time penalty (you
>> have to install it yourself, or at least, you had to), which has a
>> cost economists call the "opportunity cost", since you could have
>> been doing something else at that time. However, the lack of other
>> costs, licensing, upgrade cycles, downtime, viruses, exploits and so
>> on has resulted in linux being adopted by more and more technical
>> people.  This created some of the network effect, and linux adoption
>> is, as per the normal network effect, growing at some exponential
>> rate since most people know several others, so each adopter can
>> influence eg., 2 other people.
>
> IMHO the primary contributor to the FOSS/Linux network effect is the
> GPL. Seeking permission to access APIs, obtaining closed licenses,
> [...]

Argh!!! Moment ago, the shills buried my perfectly legitmate submission.

http://digg.com/linux_unix/Linus_Torvalds_Microsoft_Just_Made_Up_The_Number

This comes just days after an FSF item was wiped out of this earth <
http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2007/06/30/fsf-censored-digg/ >. What
is going on in the world?!?!?! Is it like the Truman Show?

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "These characters were randomly picked"
Tasks: 109 total,   1 running, 107 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie