Re: [Rival] Microsoft Says Zune Users Are Pirates, Apple Gets Rejected by UMG

On Jul 2, 5:57 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> World's biggest label kneecaps iTunes store
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Universal Music Group (UMG) has dealt a serious blow to Apple's music
> | ambitions by refusing to renew its contract with the iTunes Store.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | Last year, UMG succeeded in extracting a $1 license fee from Microsoft
> | for every Zune player sold. It's rumoured that Nokia declined a
> | similar arrangement. If UMG gained a similar amount from Apple,
> | that's still only around $40m a year.
> `----
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/02/universal_snubs_apple/
>
> Related:
>
> A Legitimate Reason to Hate the Zune (And Microsoft Too)
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Here's the situation: Microsoft has agreed to pay a portion of
> | the profits from the sales of the Zune to a record company
> | (Universal) because the Zune will undoubtedly be used to
> | store unpurchased songs.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | Here it is important to remember a few simple things. The
> | money goes to the Universal, not to the artists.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | Microsoft's move sets a bad precedent and turns all consumers into
> | thieves without evidence.
> `----
>
> http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/a-legitimate-r...
>
> Universal to seek money for each iPod sold
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "It would be a nice idea. We have a negotiation coming up not too
> | far. I don't see why we wouldn't do that... but maybe not in the
> | same way," Morris said. His "same way" comment is a reference tot
> | he Zune, which Universal already gets $1 from after signing a deal
> | with Microsoft.
> `----
>
> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061128-8309.html
>
> Microsoft says Zune executive will leave company
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Bryan Lee, corporate vice president at Microsoft's entertainment
> | and devices division, also played a key role in shaping the Xbox
> | game console business and the introduction of its Internet
> | Protocol television software.
> `----
>
> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6155200.html

Recently one of your posts pointed me to the Zune coverage in
Roughlydrafted, and I ended up reading quite a few of his articles on
other subjects, too.  They are written with a sharp sense of humor and
they provide in-depth coverage of topics with a lot of interesting
points that I haven't seen elsewhere.  Here is a lead to one of the
Zune articles:

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/Home/9F60D74A-0E27-4F5F-B88D-835974628809.html

Roughlydrafted is one of the most interesting blogs I've seen on
technical subjects.  Recently there has been a lot of iPhone
coverage.  I recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.