Re: Any trouble-free Vista users out there?

____/ waterskidoo on Friday 20 July 2007 14:06 : \____

> On 2007-07-20, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> Of course they are scared of it. A graveyard of games and apps. And that's
>> just the beginning. The the equivalent of digital preservation at execution
>> level.
>
> I tried it and didn't like it because it was too slow and my hard disk light
> seemedto be more active than it should have been
>  which probably didn't help the speed
> problem.

Vista likes to /log/ things. It /watches/ (Vis(ta)ion). It also reports.
Microsoft assumed that Joe Bloggs wouldn't mind (which is possibly true, as
long as it remains secretive).

> It seemed to work ok for me but I just didn't like it policing my every
> move. I'm sure all of this could be turned off but it wasn't worth the time.
> Then after reading all the problems people are having I decided to wipe
> it and load XP.

Not GNU/Linux?

> A friend of mine has not been so fortunate. Several of his disk drives are
> reporting the incorrect size

Yes, that's a known issue. Posted some images to COLA in the past.

> one does not even show up in explorer although
> it is in the disk manager (the partition is not marked hidden) and if
> that wasn't enough he is getting access denied messages when trying to look
> at videos in the "MyVideos" folder, even logged in as administrator.
> I suspect his Promise card is not working correctly with Vista but I
> have not investigated it.
> A lot of people are using Vista with no problems but there is enough
> noise on the net to indicate that there are massive compatibility
> problems with Vista.

Some recent survey said that only 1 out of 3 people did /not/ have problems
with Vista. 2 in 3 had problems. That's even more severe than the XBox360
failure rate.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Bottom-post: as English goes from top to bottom
Cpu(s): 27.0%us,  4.5%sy,  1.0%ni, 62.9%id,  4.1%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.2%si,  0.0%st