Re: [News] Big Publications Praise Big Linux Appliances

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Friday 20 July 2007 17:29 : \____

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9027380

> I get the feeling this $99 + 2 year subscription model
> was tried before ... although not with Linux.  So I'm not
> that hopeful.  However, the 15 watt powersupply would make
> many laptops green with envy.... ;-)
>
> (Does OLPC use only 15W?)

<snip>

Maybe less? I'm not too sure, but the comprison is not fair because you need to
take the display into account. The display in the OLPC unit is very energy
efficient, but doesn't the backlight by far exceeds the cost of running a
light system (in terms of power consumption)?

This type of scheme was attempted before, but not at this price level. Security
and size are some nice advantages. This could suit a niche. In fact, even
schools can negotiate with the company that makes these and get a discount for
large numbers.

You don't appear so hopeful. What other options do people have? Vista won't
play nice with energy. It has _a lot_ of organisations 'embedded' in the
kernel and drinking CPU cycles and RAM. Vista is a Windows iteration where the
customer is just one party among half a dozen that benefit from use. They
built it, but people don't come. They run away. They want Linux, Macs, or at
least that familiar and light XP.

everytime you say things like this i just think of that cult of people
who send around .doc files. i dont want to communicate with people who
talk in .doc format, but they do not wish to use something else, so
they discredit those without word. --Ed, c.o.l.a.