[News] Australia Taxing Friends with Microsoft Monopoly Abuse

  • Subject: [News] Australia Taxing Friends with Microsoft Monopoly Abuse
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 07:53:59 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
No tax software for you, naughty Linux/Mac user

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2005, it looked like a breakthrough was nigh; the ATO actually released a
| link to a Linux client for use with its electronic commerce interface. I
| thought this would be the first small step on the road to catering for all
| computer-using taxpayers the following year.
|
| Alas, that was not to be. The link to this client was taken down a few days
| later and that's the last I've heard of the ATO and Linux being spoken of in
| the same breath.
`----

http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13613&Itemid=1091

Related:

Taxman targets Mac, Linux users

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Taxman-targets-Mac-Linux-users/0,130061733,339274344,00.htm
http://tinyurl.com/ypytk6

,----[ Quote ]
|  "* e-tax should work with Windows Vista. However to access the help files
|  you will need to go to the Microsoft website, download WinHlp32.exe (search
|  for winhelp Vista) and install it. You may get an error message when
|  accessing the help files but you will still be able to view them."
`----

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/73931.htm

Microsoft Can't Use Own Software To Pay Washington State Taxes

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/windows/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199100238&cid=RSSfeed_TechWeb
http://tinyurl.com/ynomsa