Re: Microsoft stock breaks 5 year high today

> ____/ Dr. McGillicudy on Thursday 19 July 2007 15:06 : \____
>
>> Yet the lintards here keep saying how lienux is destroying Microsoft, how
>> it's putting them out of business and all that jazz.
>>
>> Looks to me like things are better than ever in Seattle where the king of
>> software continues to thrive, grow and dominate the computing world.
>
> Nymshifing. *plonk*
>
> Microsoft is among the biggest buyback-ers in the world. It's pumping up its
> own stock at the expense of the loot... errr... cash reserves, I mean. Lost
> over half of the cash reserves in the past 2 years alone. Won't last forever
> with Web services around (notably Google) and Linux that forces them to
> encourage/let be Office/Windows piracy.

Presumably most of the shares are privately held, which is how the
Microsoft Board are getting away with such an amazing waste of cash.

I have a mental image of this being like one of those excellent 1970s
Pink Panther cartoons, where the vacuum cleaner sucks up everything,
eventually including itself.  Microsoft's use of their cash pile to
buy-back shares looks like going the same way.  In the end, the shares
are likely to become worthless whilst the cash is all gone - obviously,
I don't think it'll get to that, but it's an amusing mental image.