Re: [News] California Open Source Resolution Passed Successfully!

____/ Mark Kent on Monday 16 July 2007 15:29 : \____

http://www.openvotingconsortium.org/cgi-bin/dada/mail.cgi/archive/ovcannouncement/20070715193532/

> Fantastic.  This is as much about encouraging openness in government
> generally, as anything else;  it is also a huge poke in the eye for the
> "security through obscurity" brigade, and rightly so, as any good
> security expert will tell you.
>
> The next step is to encourage governments to massively cut waste by
> avoiding using proprietary software, thus avoiding paying licensing
> costs, anti-virus costs, and so on, *plus* enabling the public at large
> to interact with government in a positive and unencumbered way.

Oh. And don't forget the environment. Linux is more efficient and prevents
waste.

> There is no excuse for putting Microsoft between the people and their
> government, or agencies and corporations, like the BBC, for example.

It's pretty bad in the UK. Since the convicted monopoly abuser is still the top
brand here, it's clear that the UK will be the last nation to set itself
straight, along with the US. Europe already changes. Italy grabs some
headlines now and I'm guessing that Oslo is next. Bergen had migration plans.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Watch your step, that soapbox is very slippery
Swap:  1510068k total,   373372k used,  1136696k free,    84960k cached