Re: [News] Microsoft DRM is Kaput, Demonstrating the Fundamental Weakness of the Approach

In article <3715543.qHIsMO9Yoz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> > It does have one very useful feature and that is it allows subscription
> > or rental services.
>
> But don't you see that transforming the model to one where music (media) gets
> rented leads to losses?

That model seems to be working pretty good for:

   cable TV
   satellite TV
   satellite radio
   movie rentals on DVD
   video game rentals

Where are these losses you speak of?

> > It's my kind of technology -- if done right, it lets the consumer win by
> > buying only the media they need, at a very low price.   Much cheaper
> > than buying every CD, DVD, mp3 that you would ever want and far less
> > wasteful and redundant.
>
> You don't buy, you rent. You then run out and you are forced to come out and
> get some more. Putting expiry dates on data is culture gone backwards. Food
> expires. Knowledge needs to endure and be preserved.

Does this mean you never watch a movie in a theater, and never rent a
movie from a video store?  Under what you advocate, you would only watch
movies that you have bought.  A theater viewing or a rental does not
endure.

> > The real question is why is Linux so far behind on DRM...
>
> Linux serves consumers. It's written by the consumer, for the consumer (with
> assistance from companies that respect and appreciate the fact that happy
> consumers will return). Windows and Mac OS are written for greedy people at
> their command. These people have other friends in industry, e.g. in the media
> companies.

For someone who goes on so often about choice, you are quick to want to
take choice away from consumers, aren't you?

Bailo clearly values having on-demand access to listen to far more CDs
than he could afford to buy, and is willing to pay for that access.  But
you don't want him to have that option.  You want him to be forced to
buy them all (or pirate them), if he wants that large selection of music.

There are many movies that I want to watch, but will not be likely to
want to watch more than once.  So, I'd rather pay $3 to rent them from
my local video store, or via some kind of online on-demand service, than
pay $20 to buy them.  But you don't think I should be able to do that.

So much for supporting choice...

--
--Tim Smith