Re: [News] IBM Opens Up Patents Warchest for Open Source, MySQL IPO Explored

Ahh.. more of the oldtech lying train.  You appear to be taking lessons
from Rex, but you're a long way from the kind of hand waving he does.

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 11:01:59 -0400, Oldtech wrote:

> I mean, IBM has won some serious money from Microsoft for the
> infringement of IBM IP by Microsoft in the past!

Citation?  Nope, didn't think you could.

> Remember that IBM invests $1 Billion annually in the development of
> GNU/Linux, and, don't worry, IBM earns it from their large array of
> stable, fast, competent products!

Where do you get this $1 Billion annually?  IBM has announced, several
years ago, a single $1 Billion investment, but it's highly unlikely that
IBM is spending $1 Billion dollars per year on direct development of Linux.

> Even Microsoft runs FOSS, with licensed and unlicensed code embedded in
> Win95, Win98, ME, NT, 2000, XP and Vista, as is acknowledged in their
> copyright and trademark preambles to each, and in the royalty lawsuits
> lost in 2005 to all the Universities and JPL.

And you of course have some kind of reference for the claim of unlicensed
code, right?

a google search for Microsoft lawsuit JPL doesn't yield anything that would
indicate a lawsuit between Microsoft and the JPL.  The only IP lawsuit to a
university i'm aware of is the Eolas patent lawsuit, which doesn't have
anything to do with licensing code.

> Hotmail.com runs on FreeBSD servers, while Microsoft.com runs behind and
> on 15,000 Akamai Linux servers.  All Aruba leased routers that Microsoft
> installed in replacement for the aging Cisco routers, run GNU/Linux.

Hotmail hasn't been running on FreeBSD servers for almost a decade.  You
are really behind the times there, but that's no surprise since you seem to
grasp at anything you can to attempt to make your point, regardless of it's
validity or truthfulness.

What's more, Microsoft doesn't use akamai for web caching anymore, though
they still do for distributed DNS, simply because Akamai has a distributed
infrastructure in place.

As for Aruba, that was a wireless system, and I can find no reference to
Cisco in relation to that.

> Microsoft runs hundreds of GNU/Linux machines, under VP Hilf, in their
> 'linux labs'.  Yes, some are used for development.

And how many Linux developers run Windows machines?

> The frustrating aspect for many of the 75,000 Microsoft employees is
> that the Public Relations and Marketing departments don't let out the
> facts in any news releases.

The 'facts'?  you seem to be a bit light on those.

> Most of the above info is from reported interviews of executives of
> Microsoft.

Actually, most of it is either your imagination, nearly decade out of date
information, or not really a point at all.

> A simple google search usually pulls them up.

So where's the google search of that JPL lawsuit?