Re: [News] Large Review of Top Linux Distributions, Review of DreamLinux

BearItAll <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Linux Distros for Everyone: Community, Desktop, Hardcore Geek...
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | One of the first things that confounds new users is that GNU/Linux is
>> | not a single operating system. Instead, it's the general name for
>> | hundreds of closely related operating systems -- distributions or
>> | distros, as they are usually called.
>> `----
>>
>> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3688056
>>

> If we all just take from the distros and applications without putting
> anything back in, it isn't really a community at all, it has to get
> weaker.

Finally you realise that. Far better for efforts to be pooled. Look at
Mark Kent, Omer and Roy "Lapdog" Culley - taking OSS usenet stats,
tweaking it and then refusing to release it for others.

> We already have people dual booting or zen'ing Linux distros, because
> 'this' one comes with 'this' application or utility and 'This' one comes
> with 'This' application or utility.

Which needn't be the case. But contrary to what most people believe in
here, mos users do not want to compile their own apps. They need package
management solutions.

> So you say to them, well why not load the applications/utilities of 'this'
> one onto 'This' one? and they give you the 'No one likes a smartarse'
> stare.

I am sensing a turn around. A few more are seeing through the lies and
fabrications of the COLA faithful.

If in doubt ask yourself this : IF Linux is so good and so perfect AND
its such a good idea that there are 100s of Distros AND its FREE (in all
ways) then WHY is next to no one using it in the real world on desktops?

Answer : it confuses people and will always be associated with geeky
nerds until people come to their senses and pool efforts to make it more
approachable for the average man. Look at the Ubuntu initiative -
Shuttleworth has done just that and look where it is now. Far better
someone adds to Ubuntu than creates their own distro.