Re: [News] Large Review of Top Linux Distributions, Review of DreamLinux

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Linux Distros for Everyone: Community, Desktop, Hardcore Geek...
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | One of the first things that confounds new users is that GNU/Linux is
> | not a single operating system. Instead, it's the general name for
> | hundreds of closely related operating systems -- distributions or
> | distros, as they are usually called.
> `----
>
> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3688056

I suppose each of us would put slightly different lists of distros into his
categories. But really his breakdown was alright.

Sort of.

Damn I was determined not to be pedantic today, but I will be because being
pedantic is what being human is all about. (I just made that up, but making
things up is what being human is all about too).

There is a side to this I don't particularly like, the fact that many in the
lists are only there because of a couple of features that are different
from the norm.

There are genuine targeted distros, like those that have a particular bent
towards multi-media others towards office and others ...

But are they really distros in their own right? Well the answer has to be
'No' doesn't it?

If Mr AverageUser has a nice set of applications for his hobby that he
really likes, is it really valid for him/her to put that out as a distro
rather than going back to the community putting in a nice HOWTO so that
others can enjoy his nice set up too. Or going to the site of each
application and putting in some documentation, or install script, that will
give others this nice setup.

If we all just take from the distros and applications without putting
anything back in, it isn't really a community at all, it has to get weaker.
We already have people dual booting or zen'ing Linux distros, because
'this' one comes with 'this' application or utility and 'This' one comes
with 'This' application or utility.

So you say to them, well why not load the applications/utilities of 'this'
one onto 'This' one? and they give you the 'No one likes a smartarse'
stare.

So you see Linux is already weakened by this idea that one distro is Linux
and the other distro is Linux therefore you need both. Linux is Linux guys
lets not put distinctions where they don't need to exist.

There, thats me done. Gads I'm going to wear out this soap box if I keep
responding to these things.