[News] Linux Continues to Reduce Power Consumption

  • Subject: [News] Linux Continues to Reduce Power Consumption
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 03:35:11 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Linux: Keyboard Blink Driver

,----[ Quote ]
| Stephen Hemminger posted a patch to make it possible to unload the keyboard
| blink driver, "the blink driver wakes up every jiffy which wastes power
| unnecessarily. Using a notifier gives same effect. Also add ability to unload
| module."
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/node/11731

Related:

Linux: Reducing Power Consumption

,----[ Quote ]
| Arjan summarizes, "with kernel fixes and features, the power
| consumption of this laptop went from 21.06 Watts to 18.25 Watts;
| with 2 additional userspace fixes the power consumption ended up
| at 15.5 Watts."
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/node/11700

Novell, AMD sync up on SUSE Linux power management

,----[ Quote ]
| PowerNow! is a dashboard-based application that conserves power in
| AMD-based computers. The CPU's clock speed and VCore is automatically
| decreased when the computer is under low load or idle to save power
| and reduce heat.
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1262301,00.html
http://tinyurl.com/39l3kz

Intel announces the PowerTOP utility for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| What's eating the battery life of my laptop? Why isn't it many more
| hours? Which software component causes the most power to be burned?
| These are important questions without a good answer... until now.
`----

http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/5/11/365

Linux going green

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit, held last week at the
| Google Mountain View, Calif. campus, featured a "Green Linux"
| initiative to boost power management in the platform.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/techwatch/archives/012549.html#6690252001063892125

Report: Linux, open source greener than Windows

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1246762,00.html?track=sy184
http://tinyurl.com/38cge3