Re: [News] Linux Continues to Reduce Power Consumption

____/ ed on Wednesday 11 July 2007 13:19 : \____

> On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 03:35:11 +0100
>
>> Linux: Keyboard Blink Driver
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Stephen Hemminger posted a patch to make it possible to unload the
>> keyboard | blink driver, "the blink driver wakes up every jiffy which
>> wastes power | unnecessarily. Using a notifier gives same effect.
>> Also add ability to unload | module."
>> `----
>>
>> http://kerneltrap.org/node/11731
>
> This is only really useful for people who debug the kernel. For the
> average user I think this is of little interest.
>
> What is useful, I believe is the power saving when people use a lower
> spec graphics card in the server room. Anything that can do 80x25 is
> fine, and that normally means a card that doesn't need cooling.
>
> In some cases a box like Suns Cool Thread sparc, which doesn't have a
> graphics card at all. This means of course that a dumb TTY can be
> switched on or off as required.
>
> For our organisation turn off workstations out of office hours means a
> reduction of 75% power, that adds up to about 20,000GBP in power
> savings.
>
> Having a similar quantity of computers in the the server room does make
> a notable difference if we can save power here and there.

The link at the bottom of the OP (among more) show that organisations begin to
realise the great (yet sometimes hidden) savings. Only marketing lies (Get the
Facts and preinstalltion) help Microsoft survive at the moment. It won't last
for long, however, because people talk about their personal experiences.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | What is all that lipstick in XP's close button?