Re: [News] Infrastructure Architect: Linux is Years Ahead of Windows Vista

In article <2556054.vBGr5F1JXi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,

> > I find it very interesting to see Linux advocates point to (beta)
> > features that do nothing but look cool, as if that somehow would put
> > linux ahead of Windows. Because, well... "looking cool" is what it's
> > all about, right?
> >
> > 3D compositing for 2D objects has been in OSX for years now, and I'm
> > pretty thankful that no one has gone overboard with like Beryl does.
> > It's just not useful.
>
> What this one:
>
> howto enhance your workflow with beryl
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Problem is, I spread my applications across all 4 desktops, so
> | that things feel uncluttered when I'm working on an application.
> | However, when you want to keep an eye on several applications at
> | a time, it's impossible - except, if you have beryl. What I do
> | is set one of the corners of my desktop to activate the scale
> | plugin to show all windows from all desktops (see here for a
> | more detailed explanation). I also make sure that it shows
> | minimised windows.
> `----
>
> http://www.liquidweather.net/howto/index.php?id=101
>
> There are several more examples (with videos). Advanced interfaces /do/
> increase productivity. Some of these features Mac OS X has as well (e.g.
> Expose).

And the above will be in Spaces in Leopard. But that's not the point.
Linux advocates rarely point to the feature, only to the execution.

I kind of get the feeling that they feel they've been left out of the
"jazziness" for so many years (remember when enlightenment was the
coolest visuals you could see on a linux computer? hehe) that they're
trying to take it back now when someone has made a OpenGL (hello 2002)
compositing engine for 2D objects and taken it way out of proportion.

> Another point to make is that productivity gains are hard to understand and
> appreciated until you get **used** to them and cannot imagine living without
> them.

I know all about that. Neither needs rotating 3D cubes with aquarium
fish in them.

> Examples:
>
> Drag and resize with ALT+mouse button.
> Virtual desktops
> Windows shading
> Mutiple-window GIMP UI
>
> Windows users will typically dismiss them because __to them__, at least
> initially, such features will take time to get around (mentally).
>
> It's like juggling.

Why are you talking about Windows users? Who cares about Windows users?

--
Sandman[.net]