Re: [News] Infrastructure Architect: Linux is Years Ahead of Windows Vista

____/ Sandman on Sunday 29 July 2007 14:59 : \____

> In article <Nu_qi.6256$By5.2987@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>  7 <website_has_email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> > So you guys just pull these numbers out of your ass, eh?  How could
>> > an OS, whose default shell can be traced all the way back to the
>> > 1970s, be "years ahead" of any other OS at all?  What OS are you
>> > comparing it to?  Apple DOS?
>> >
>> > The idea seems to be that linux is good because you use it.  And you
>> > are good because you use linux.  And there doesn't seem to be a lot
>> > of thought deeper than that.  No wonder there are so many people
>> > over here who use pgp trash and so few over here that can grasp the
>> > limitations of pgp trash.
>>
>> Windopws Pista will suck until 2009 before next updates are released.
>> Therefore its atleast 2 years behind.
>> If you have seen the latest Beryl and Compiz
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmz9a9pJR_s
>
> I find it very interesting to see Linux advocates point to (beta)
> features that do nothing but look cool, as if that somehow would put
> linux ahead of Windows. Because, well... "looking cool" is what it's
> all about, right?
>
> 3D compositing for 2D objects has been in OSX for years now, and I'm
> pretty thankful that no one has gone overboard with like Beryl does.
> It's just not useful.

What this one:

howto enhance your workflow with beryl

,----[ Quote ]
| Problem is, I spread my applications across all 4 desktops, so
| that things feel uncluttered when I'm working on an application.
| However, when you want to keep an eye on several applications at
| a time, it's impossible - except, if you have beryl. What I do
| is set one of the corners of my desktop to activate the scale
| plugin to show all windows from all desktops (see here for a
| more detailed explanation). I also make sure that it shows
| minimised windows.
`----

http://www.liquidweather.net/howto/index.php?id=101

There are several more examples (with videos). Advanced interfaces /do/
increase productivity. Some of these features Mac OS X has as well (e.g.
Expose).

Another point to make is that productivity gains are hard to understand and
appreciated until you get **used** to them and cannot imagine living without
them.

Examples:

Drag and resize with ALT+mouse button.
Virtual desktops
Windows shading
Mutiple-window GIMP UI

Windows users will typically dismiss them because __to them__, at least
initially, such features will take time to get around (mentally).

It's like juggling.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Here be hills, there be dragons!