Re: [News] Infrastructure Architect: Linux is Years Ahead of Windows Vista

flyer wrote:

> In article <Yw5ri.6600$By5.1782@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> website_has_email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx says...
>> Sandman wrote:

>> > I find it very interesting to see Linux advocates point to (beta)
>> > features that do nothing but look cool, as if that somehow would put
>> > linux ahead of Windows. Because, well... "looking cool" is what it's
>> > all about, right?
>>
>> There is nothing beta about the features in
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmz9a9pJR_s
>>

>> > 3D compositing for 2D objects has been in OSX for years now, and I'm
>> > pretty thankful that no one has gone overboard with like Beryl does.
>> > It's just not useful.
>>
>> Thats because you don't know how to use a real computer and assume that
>> whatever your experieces are must be true for others when its not.
>> Your post reminds me of typical out of date windummy BSOD approach to
>> using computers.
>>
>> If you are like me, an enthusiastic Linux user thats made the switch
>> from windopws to Linux and use it all the time,
>> you begin to understand why you need all these features.
>> Typically, unlike persistent windopws BSOD screens that forces
>> you to surrender to a dumb defective working practices, with Linux you
>> can leave screens on for days at a time. Typically that means today you
>> run several virtual PCs start some developer work, and leave it frozen to
>> carry on with other duties and then come back a week later and carry on
>> where you left off. Typical windummies viri OS ridden crap have all
>> crashed out including believe it or not the virtualised versions (memory
>> leaks everywhere perhaps?). When doing that all the time, its important
>> to have
>
> Interesting.
>
> You mention several extremely important points which make total sense.
>
> They show you know what you're talking about. Most of your points make
> alot of sense.
>
> But they're all in the same huge paragraph and hard as hell to see.
>
> Could you please separate each point with a paragraph? Little bit more
> space but way easier to read.
>
> Doesn't have to be perfect formatting, because you're really informal,
> but just more separated.
>
> (if you climbed a hill you could call yourself 7up)(heh heh heh)

Easy.

What is the difference between working with Windows PCs and Linux Desktops?
Its Reliability.

A typical windopws pc is slow, crashes often and suffers reboots in between.
It greatly affects how you work.
Most of the time, it scares you from doing any real work properly.

Linux desktop experience is reliability reliability reliability.
You can switch the PC on, leave it running for days and nothing adverse
would have happened to your desktop.

Once you recognise that as a permeanent feature of your PC, you begin to
exploit it.

First, you begin naturally leave running applications and work in-progress
on one screen. Easy to get 16 virtual desktops - so you may as well exploit
it all and put groups of applications in numbered virtual desktops so when
something needs to be done urgently, you just switch to desktop 15 for
example and its there to start doing your work there and then.

Once you are used to a dozen or so applications being left running for days
and weeks on end, you take confidence and start to increase the numbers to
tens, 20's and 30's. Even more important, you begin to pull in other
projects by virtualising machines and leaving them running on your PC.

Hardly anyone works on live systems these days.
You instead run up Qemu and emulate a PC running up distros, partionioning
tools and all kinds of other complex and difficult things
on virtual PCs so that you can roll them out onto real PCs by just
copying out the home directory which contains all the settings.
It can take days to check out all the features as you hop from
one task to another. So its good to leave some of those half finished
jobs running in your desktop rather than close it all down and be
confronted with having to revisit more complexity.

The enabling technology that allowed the extending of applications
is virtualisation and things like Beryl and Compiz. The many effects
they offer are keenly exploited. You have to keep tabs on what is running
and where. So setting the desktop to semi-transparent allows other windows
to be seen lined up around the cube. If you have 16 windows, then you can
see them all just enough and often enough to keep remembering
where everthing is.
So Beryl + Compiz and the reliability of the Linux Desktop is what
defines the modern computing desktop experience. Its all about opening
dozens of windows and working on all those simultaneously. Leaving
something parked and coming back to it weeks later
is a must have feature of modern day working.
Our workloads are increasing - not decreasing.

Windopws doesn't do virtualisation or the 3D beryl types of effects
or a reliable PC experience in the same way as you or I experience it with
Linux. Some of the witless wonders who question the need for Beryl
and compiz etc are living in the past. They are trying to pass
on their inferior negative experiences of windopws use to Linux users by
a) not understanding or having the benefits of running a reliable os on a PC
b) by being hemmed in by inferior OS, they don't see the need for superior
   tools because these superior tools inherently can't work on their
   unreliable inferior OS fitted computers.

Linux is at least 2 years ahead in this game.
People who switch to Linux Desktop will see enormous
productivity for themeselves and will strongly refute
any windummy selling shoddy micoshaft products.