Re: [News] Linux Users, Microsoft Thinks Its Can Steal Your Wallet

____/ Mark Kent on Sunday 29 July 2007 11:41 : \____

>> ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 27 July 2007 13:11 : \____
>>
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> Software patents do not apply outside the US, Canada, Australia and
>>> Mexico.
>>
>> Some E-mails that I received from Spain today indicate that Microsoft will
>> try tactics that are similar to OOXML (monopoly enablement) in order to pass
>> software patent in the EU. FFII will be there to defend.
>>

> Microsoft have a clear handful of tactics which they're using to try to
> hang on to their existing business model.  One is, clearly, conning
> governments into forcing the likes of the BBC onto Microsoft-only
> formats with vague promises of "compatibility" at some undefined point
> in the future.
>
> The second is to get their proprietary formats somehow shoe-horned
> through standardisation processes, and then to get patents on those
> formats, and then to charge everyone, no matter what software they're
> using, the same Microsoft taxes they've been charging on computers for a
> couple of decades now.

        re: tactics

A reader reminded me of then following yesterday:

http://wiki.ffii.org/Navision050215En

I also spoke to Mark T yesterday and it turns out that the British government
is getting inself deeper in the mud at the moment (not just the OSC will
react). In fact, I'll write about it shortly. It seems as though we might as
well paint Gordon Brown with the Microsoft brush and treat as such. Some of
the people who report to the government/BBC are also Microsoft employee, or
something along those lines.

Remember that guy from National Archives who is also working for Microsoft? He
got tagged, thanks to you <
http://boycottnovell.com/2007/07/19/adam-farquhar-funny-business/ >. It's
seems to be a coordinated attempt to hijack the Web. OOXML is just one among a
large stack of standards+patents. See <
http://boycottnovell.com/2007/07/24/buying-iso-approval/ >. I've grown closer
the the TC, so I happen to have found out a lot more.

To Microsoft, OOXML is a billion-dollar question. So is is ODF, I s**t you not.
They don't mind the bad PR that comes with the bullying. They want to survive.
They want to keep their job for years to come and not struggle to keep it from
cheaper labour overseas.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: 21978 x 4 = 21978 backwards
Tasks: 115 total,   1 running, 113 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie