Re: If I buy a copy of SUSE, how much money goes to MS?

____/ John Locke on Saturday 28 July 2007 21:13 : \____

> On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 10:53:23 -0700, Tim Smith
> <reply_in_group@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>I haven't been able to find a dollar answer to this question: how much
>>money goes to MS if I buy a copy of SUSE?
> Well.. Microsoft sunk about 400 million into the deal which includes
> Suse certificates, patent deals, marketing, etc. Novell has agreed to
> a 40 million dollar kickback to Microsoft for "patent protection".
>
> When you buy Suse, I'm not sure what percentage of the revenues go
> into Microsoft's pocket.  This whole deal seems rather ambiguous to me.
>
> I suppose you could consider the 40 million as a tax of sorts as eventually
> that expenditure will be passed on to the consumer. Microsoft could always
> tack on an extra charge which would be hidden in the cost of the product.
>
> In any case, Novell is really on the hook. They must have needed money
> badly to sign this kind of deal.

Can't find the post I have in mind, but here are a couple I caught on the way.

http://boycottnovell.com/2007/05/15/linux-money-for-ms/
http://boycottnovell.com/2007/06/05/just-in-novell-earns-more-money-from-ms-patent-deal-than-it-pays/

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: most popular O/S, yet not most widespread
Swap:  1510068k total,   298332k used,  1211736k free,    54664k cached