Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Still Loathed (Digest)

[H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> says:
>Verily I say unto thee, that John Locke spake thusly:

>> It is time for Microsoft to create a streamlined, basic OS for
>> people that don't want all the junk that's in  Vista. This would
>> greatly enhance the image of this company.

>Frankly I think it's just time for the Microsoft dinosaur to become
>extinct; and allow a modern, enlightened society to work towards Open
>Standards and Free Software.

Oh, yes!  But wait!  They tried that in Russia and it didn't work.
And they are trying it in China but our cats died.

>I have little interest in any company succeeding or failing, beyond
>that which is listed in my portfolio, and for that I'd need to
>consult with Cofunds, since I simple don't care about the details,
>beyond whether it is going up or down. That's why I pay the fund
>manager a commission, so I don't need to care about the boring
>details of corporate activity.

Are not able to grasp it, eh?  Look at it this way - even though M$
is not open source and is not "free", in any way, people buy it.
And buy it and buy it and buy it.  And even though linux is open
source and is pretty much "free" in every way, everybody still buys
windoze.  And they buy it and buy it and buy it.

>The only thing that is ever likely to make me care, is if a given
>company somehow interferes with my personal freedom, like - say -
>inhibiting my choices of cheap, mass-volume, OEM computer systems;
>limiting my choice of certain hardware due to closed standards,
>etc.

>Then I care.

Ah, so you should simply move to China.  They don't respect patents
over there.  Everything is "free" and "open source" in China!  And
they aren't about to restrict your individual freedom by protecting
the rights of creative individuals to make interesting products.

Just think, if we simply line up and shoot all the creative types,
nothing new would ever be written and you would be free to use vim
or emacs to your heart's content without anyone ever depriving you
of your well-established right to enjoy life, by producing something
new that they would expect you to have to pay for.

cordially, as always,

rm