Re: Governments Continue to Eliminate Basic Freedoms

____/ Darth Chaos on Saturday 28 July 2007 08:43 : \____

> On Jul 27, 10:08 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> Report warns against too many 'Net rules
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Kazakhstan and Georgia are among countries imposing excessive restrictions
>> | on how people use the Internet, a new report says, warning that
>> | regulations are having a chilling effect on freedom of expression.
>> `----
>>
>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070727/ap_on_hi_te/internet_restrictions
>>
>> Yesterday it was reported that they will have Net/state-wide filters on
>> content.
>>
>> Wikipedia and the Intelligence Services
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Salinger came to believe that [first name redacted but known to be Linda]
>> | was working for [name of intelligence agency redacted but known to be
>> | Britain's MI5] and had been from the beginning; assigned genuinely to
>> | investigate Pan Am 103, but also to infiltrate and monitor us.
>> `----
>>
>> http://english.ohmynews.com/articleview/article_view.asp?no=374006&re...
>>
>> Linux powers Web sites and radio stations that would otherwise be muted,
>> bankrupt. It's the route to equal voice, free speech, and parity. Look how
>> blogs kill the media and Web sites cannibalise their paper-form legacy.
>>
>> Related:
>>
>> Open Source Radio is A Sound Salvation
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The song sharply criticizes the commercialization of mainstream
>> | radio ("They;re saying things that I can hardly believe") and one
>> | can only imagine the shock NBC executives experienced that night
>> | considering their radio station was the very sort Costello
>> | condemned. Performing "Radio Radio" without warning at SNL got
>> | Costello banned from the show for 12 years.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | But new media and technology is finally reversing the trend of putting
>> | "the radio in the hands of such a lot of fools tryin' to anaesthetize
>> | the way that you feel," as Costello would put it.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.newassignment.net/blog/bess_kargman/feb2007/01/open_source...
>>
>> Open source Campcaster empowers independent radio broadcasters
>>
>> http://community.linux.com/community/07/01/19/1955221.shtml?tid=11&ti...
>>
>> Radio goes the open source route

>> Linux radio suite powers independent broadcasters
>>
>> http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?src=rss&id=1314
>

> Found this. To me, this article wants you to think that they want the
> FCC to regulate the internet as if it were over-the air TV/radio.
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=41234
>
> US Senators Back Web Censorship
>
> Think of the children
>

> By Nick Farrell: Thursday 26 July 2007, 08:38
>
> US senators issued a bipartisan call for filtering and monitoring
> technologies on the Internet.
> In a meeting where civil liberties groups were not invited, Democrats
> and Republicans said that the web needed to be censored to protect
> [...]

Remember what they do to bloggers in Asia and what they now do to P2P? They try
to associate something to terrorism -- no matter how remote the correlation
might be -- and then shut it down. How long before they decide to censor
certain political sites under the same rules? The other day I read that
Stevens (I'm quite sure it was him) wanted to censor any /picture/ that
contains dogs fighting. Note: it's /NOT/ the act, it's the /depiction/ that he
wants banned. These things no no bounds. This is just where it all /begins/.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Rid your machine from malware. Install GNU/Linux.
Mem:    515500k total,   444520k used,    70980k free,     2020k buffers