Re: [News] Department of Homeland Security Assists Free Software

____/ Jerry McBride on Friday 27 July 2007 22:41 : \____

> waterskidoo wrote:
>
>> On 2007-07-27, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Coverity Expands DHS Scans With Java
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.internetnews.com/security/article.php/3690951
>>
>> Personally I wouldn't let DHS anywhere near open source software anymore
>> than I trust China and it's *Red Flag Linux*.
>> The suspected back doors that the government agencies have installed
>> in Windows software will be nothing compared to them getting their
>> hands on open source software. I find the very thought of it scary.
>
> So what? At least you HAVE the option of looking over their recommendations
> and reject it if you wish. They have no enforcement powers, just
> recommendations and suggestions.
>
> Also, with windows, you DON'T HAVE any peer review other than that provided
> by the FBI, NSA behind closed doors and painted windows...

The DHS only runs commercial scanners and makes recommendations. It does not
apply any patches AFAIK.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "I feed my 3 penguins with electricity and love"
Swap:  1510068k total,   491788k used,  1018280k free,    80940k cached