Re: Digg spurns Google for young Microsoft ..

____/ [H]omer on Friday 27 July 2007 04:27 : \____

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Technology/Digg-fires-Google-hires-Microsoft-for-online-advertising/2007/07/26/1185339120973.html

> Given the number of Microsoft Shills infesting Digg, this doesn't
> surprise me at all.

When Digg opened a "Microsoft" section, the number of submissions on that topic
went through the roof and I was no longer able to track any Microsoft news
there. There were lots of 'Microsoft fan' blogs.

Who advocates monopoly abusers without payments or without the chance of
receiving rewards? Microsoft has been caught giving prizes to those who engage
in grassroots stuff, in which case it's simply astroturfing. Reward follows
action, not vice versa, but it's essentially the same. They give the
impression and send the message that they will share money with those who do
marketing in disguise.

Last year, when 'redhatcat' left Digg he said that the place was getting filled
with Microsoft shills. I think he said this in one of the threads where people
attacked me /ad hominem/ (it happens almost every day now).

When I came to think about it, the shills won in a way. I no longer submit many
stories that criticise or expose Microsoft. When I did, then quite
immediately, the 'usual suspects' would strike within minutes or hours. You
can find like 10-30 comments on Comes vs Microsoft submissions that never even
made the front page (they got buried beforehand). Many of them still have PR5,
so a simply Google search leads to them (like a gateway to a PDF that cannot
be interpreted).

Now, don't get me wrong... I have no problem with stories getting buried for
being SPAM, inaccurate, or whatever. In this case, I simply quoted Microsoft
from a newly-revealed court exhibit. People liked it. People Dugg this very
quickly. How can this be buried? Microsoft has already buried oneenstire  Web
site. Thanks goodness we have mirrors of the case in Iowa (however partial
they may be, since Microsoft settled within weeks and some 'laundry'). Now we
just need all of this in textual form. There's just too much of that.

Look at the number of pages here:

http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/3000/PX03096.pdf

That's just _one among thousands_. A lot of it is "criminal" material. Planet
Earth must see this. History needs it. This particular one that Nessuno pulled
a couple of weeks ago actually reached the attention of tens of thousands
(even if just the excerpt was read). I don't like the idea of Microsoft being
around Digg at this moment.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | while (!0==1) echo 'Bill Gates' > /dev/null
Cpu(s): 27.1%us,  4.5%sy,  1.0%ni, 62.8%id,  4.2%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.2%si,  0.0%st