Re: [News] Linux Forces Microsoft to 'Sell' Windows for $0

  • Subject: Re: [News] Linux Forces Microsoft to 'Sell' Windows for $0
  • From: High Plains Thumper <highplainsthumper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 15:03:43 +0900
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 04:39:42 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Microsoft's $3 software is a cheap stunt
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | But one UK charity boss says the offer of cheap software is meaningless
> | without any machines to run it on. "Without the hardware it's like
> | donating the tyres but not the tractor," said Tony Roberts, CEO of
> | Computer Aid International. "Currently the price of a new PC in
> | developing countries is GBP600. That's higher than the average annual
> | income per head in countries such as Malawi [GBP300] and Zambia
> | [GBP500]."
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39336
>

> Governments Must Reject Gates' $3 Bid to Addict Next Billion PC Users
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "Microsoft's strategy of getting developing nations hooked on its
> | software was clearly outlined by Bill Gates almost a decade ago," said
> | Con Zymaris, CEO of long-standing open source firm Cybersource.
> |
> | Specifically, Bill Gates, citing China as an example, said: Â
> |   "Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but
> |   people don't pay for the software," he said. "Someday they will,
> | though.   As long as they are going to steal it, we want them to steal
> | ours.   They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out
> | how to   collect sometime in the next decade."[1]
> `----
>
> http://www.cybersource.com.au/press/gates_set_to_addict_next_billion.html

That is counter to what is beneficial in these developing countries.  A
heavyweight operating system like Vista is resource intensive.  Even in
the Western world, most individuals find it difficult to poney up a
hundred quid for RAM upgrades.  Current recommendations range from 2 to
4 GB.

[quote]
Indeed, part of today's announcement will highlight the release of a
system-scanning tool aimed at letting users just what they need to upgrade
in their system to meet either level of support. Of course, we here in the
Orbiting HQ want to stress that these specification recommendations are
minimum, minimum, minimum! If you have a PC with a 1 GHz processor, 1GB of
RAM, and a 128MB DirectX 9.0-compliant video card... you'd be insane to
install Windows Vista (in our not-so-humble opinions.)
[/quote]

http://blogs.msdn.com/steverowe/archive/2007/01/22/how-much-memory-does-
vista-need.aspx

or http://tinyurl.com/2uqwcw

[quote]
In my experience, XP ran very well with 512 MB and only slightly better
with 1 GB (unless you were putting it through a very serious work load).
To get this kind of performance out of Vista, you really want 1.5 GB.  1
GB will work but it will be sluggish at times.  Anything less than 1 GB
will feel very slow.
[/quote]

http://www.brown.edu/Facilities/CIS/buy/recommended_computers.html

08-May-2007 08:43:40 EDT

[quote]
Recommendations for a NEW Windows computer:

Desktop Configuration

    * *Modern Processor (see below)
    * 2GB RAM
    * flat panel display (LCD)
    * 160GB hard drive
    * DVD/CD-RW
    * 10/100/1000 Ethernet
    * 256MB+ Video RAM, (integrated Intel GMA 3000)
    * Windows XP Pro SP2 or
      Vista Business/Enterprise/Ultimate

<SNIP>

*Modern processor such as the Intel Dual Core. Processor speed is not the
sole factor for determining CPU performance in today's technology.
Architechure and features such as cache size must also be considered.
[/quote]

Even Windows XP requires more than 256 MB RAM.  I initially installed XP
Home Ed on a 256 MB system.  The lack of RAM resulted in constant virtual
paging to hard disk, making the system sluggish, until I added an
additional 512 MB RAM.

How many in a 3rd world country be able to afford an Intel Dual Core
processor?

This is where the beauty of Linux comes forth.  It runs well on less
powerful systems.  Since the manufacturer has already recouped their
development costs, systems are sold on a cost plus basis.  Lower RAM
and video requirements lowers cost.

Here is something interesting, it is Linux powered and costs $99:

http://zonbu.com/learn/

[quote]
Incredible value
Starting at $99 (*) and with plans at $12.95 a month, Zonbu is the
low-cost, zero-maintenance computer. And it includes over $2,000 worth of
pre-installed applications. It's so affordable and trouble-free, in fact,
that everyone in the family can have one. Add one to the kids' room, your
workshop hideaway, the family room or your vacation home.
[/quote]

--
HPT