Re: OT: is IRC dead or something?

____/ dapunka on Tuesday 24 July 2007 20:46 : \____

> As I relatively newcomer to the internet, I'm interested in a lot of
> what goes on here.  I wanted to check out IRC, so I installed the x-
> chat client (and gnome interface) and had a look round.
>
> There are channels out there, but the great majority of them seem to
> be silent.  There are users in the channels, but there's no chat going
> on - unless it's just private chat betweeen friends on the channel.
>
> I log on, and make a "Hi there" kind of post... I suggest possible
> subjects that maybe someone might like to chat about... but it seems
> no one wants to know?
>
> Am I doing something wrong?  Or is IRC dying out?

This death is greatly exaggerated. Some say newsgroups  (USENET) have died
because of moderatted online forums.

Some say E-mail is officially dead because of SPAM,.

Some even give up on IM, but it's apparently live and well.

Hey, even SCO is still around, so perhaps we should stop listening to Microsoft
too. Some months ago it said that Linux would be dead in 2007. Then came all
the OEMs, which began installing Linux on their PCs.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Viruses to Linux are like cancer to a shark
Mem:    515500k total,   444204k used,    71296k free,     2716k buffers