Re: GIMP Usability Study Tool Available to the Public

On Jul 23, 2:30 pm, spi...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> BearItAll <s...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> did eloquently scribble:
>
> > Just because other available functions are used less it doesn't mean they
> > have no value, it is only that you are less likely to use them on a regular
> > basis, but invaluable if you do need them.
>
> Nah, I think with a study like this, it's more likely to be to do with
> function placement. Prominence. Etc.
>
> If they find a function deep in a menu heirarchy is commonly used, they'll
> move it out to a more eaily reachable place. If something that's at the top
> of a menu structure turns out to not be used often, it might be moved down a
> little.
>
> It's good that they're doing this. The wintrolls have been targetting the
> gimp's user interface for years because "It's not like photoshop's so it's
> useless".
>
> So if they conduct a few studies to rejig the interface to make it more
> friendly, all the better.

I agree that this study's a good idea.  I've just started learning (ie
playing with) gimp, and I do find the interface unwieldy.  This isn't
because it's different to PhotoShop - I've never used /any/ serious
image manipulation software before.  I know that I'll master it sooner
or later.  It just seems to me that the interface is slowing me down.

I'll tell you what's really annoying though.  I've got Ubuntu Feisty,
installed from the Live CD, comes with gimp right?  But the damn Help
files aren't installed.  The one package that I definitely need all
the help I can get with.

Still, I know I'll get there.  And I know that when I do, I'll be able
to do some serious image-manipulation without having to pay a
ridiculous sum of cash or sell my soul to a corporation. :)