Re: [News] Harry Potter's Author Describes the Microsoft Business Model

____/ Mark Kent on Monday 23 July 2007 12:03 : \____

>> ____/ John Locke on Sunday 22 July 2007 19:30 : \____

>>> Microsoft is still making noises about a subscription service.
>>
>> They successfully tested it in some parts of the world, but people are not
>> so foolish. Office for rent (not just renting a licence to use it) with a
>> pay-as-you-go plan will make Linux seem a lot more attractive. Yet, it's the
>> only way Microsoft can compete with Google and OpenOffice.org /without/ just
>> turning a blind eye to piracy. It's Microsoft long-term survival plan. To
>> boost profit, they recently elevated Office support costs by 50% and they
>> also cracked down on piracy, played hardball with 'standards' bodies, and at
>> the same time saw customers leaving. It's not a sustainable plan.
>>

> A subscription is only going to work if you have something which is
> unavailable any other way.  Subscription models have to have a consumer
> pull, eg:
>
> 1) Lower cost than direct retail
> 2) Access to material, capability not available elsewhere
> 3) Access to expertise or other value add not available
> elsewhere
> 4) Shared risk (eg, better returns policy)
> 5) Early/more timely delivery
>
> ... and so on.
>
> Microsoft Office does not have any singular feature which makes it worth
> paying for, something Microsoft are /brutally/ aware of.  This is why
> they're busy perverting ECMA to approve a second standard to do what
> the already agreed-to standard does, in order to force a monopoly on
> their formats.
>
> If Microsoft can manage to get the "monopoly on their formats" approved
> by lots of different government bodies and the like, then they can use
> item 2) above, for a subscription access to Microsoft Office, which will
> be "access to a capability not available elsewhere".  Or "Proprietary".
>
> This is also precisely why the Patent trolling has been going on, in order
> to give the ill-informed the impression that Microsoft Office has some of
> "2" above built-in.  It hasn't, of course, but it won't stop our Microsoft
> trolls here using phrases like "Microsoft Office format offers higher
> fidelity".  A great marketing phrase which has precisely zero meaning.

Funny that you mention it. Read the first sentence *here*:

http://www.microsoft.com/interop/collab/linspire/definitions2.aspx

It made the front page of Digg a few hours ago, ONLY because of that sentence.
Nice shot in the foot there, Microsoft attorneys.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: the buttocks is the largest muscle
Swap:  1510068k total,   503012k used,  1007056k free,    46004k cached