Re: [News] Mass Production of $100 GNU/Linux Laptops Given the GREEN LIGHT!

> '$100 laptop' production begins
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Hardware suppliers have been given the green light to ramp-up production of
>| all of the components needed to build millions of the low-cost machines.
>| Previously, the organisation behind the scheme said that it required orders
>| for 3m laptops to make production viable. The first machines should be ready
>| to put into the hands of children in developing countries in October 2007.
> `----

Yahoo!  At last!

By the way, it's interesting to note that all the FUD we've seen here
about this project is the same FUD which has been spread everywhere,
including even the FUD which refuses to accept that there is value to
education.

I think this will be the first of a new generation of
ultra-low-power-consumption, ULPC, machines (tag trademarked by Mark
Kent!) which will be worked on in strong competition from a range of
hardware vendors.

The need to get human-power and solar-power moving these things is very
strong indeed, considering the problems with energy supplies.

It's also probably the final death-knell for Windows, since there is no
way that Windows will ever be either cost-effective enough, or have low
enough power requirements to make it viable for such machines.